Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mythtv-setup program How do I access it?

Beans

Re: mythtv-setup program How do I access it?

nickrout,

thanks for more links.

Here's another usability question that probably should go into another topic, but since there are a few experienced users in this topic...

Does anyone know where I should look to learn how to jump between MythTv and ubuntu without exiting MythTV?
    Where are the keystroke shortcuts listed?
    Is it possible to press a combination of keys to create a smaller window containing MythTV?
    Can MythTV exist in a window on the ubuntu desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nhtrader View Post
    nickrout,

thanks for more links.

Here's another usability question that probably should go into another topic, but since there are a few experienced users in this topic...

Does anyone know where I should look to learn how to jump between MythTv and ubuntu without exiting MythTV?
    Where are the keystroke shortcuts listed?
    Is it possible to press a combination of keys to create a smaller window containing MythTV?
    Can MythTV exist in a window on the ubuntu desktop?

Alt-Tab switches between running applications. If there aren't any running It won't switch. In Gnome (ubuntu) Ctrl-Alt-d will show the desktop, or you could use a virtual desktop and do Ctrl-alt-<arrow> where arrow is left, right, up, or down depending on how your virtual desktops are set up. Don't know where these are listed, but if you are running Gnome then googling should get you there. If you are running XFCE (mythbuntu default) then I'm not sure what the keyboard shortcuts are but google will get you there, and the ones I posted above might still work.

Not sure about a combination of keystrokes that will create a smaller window without writing up a script but you can start mythfrontend from a terminal and specify the geometry, or there is a setting in mythfrontend that determines the geometry and window mode (probably in appearance).

From terminal:

Code:
    mythfrontend -geometry 1024x768
    lets you specify the geometry (substitute your own values for 1024x768 ). then you can use the Ctrl-Click to move the window around even if it doesn't have a title bar.

Code:
    mythfrontend -w
    will put it in windowed mode.
    Code:
    mythfrontend -nw
    for explicitly specifying non windowed mode.

Code:
    mythfrontend -geometry 800x600 -w
    will make it an 800x600 windowed app.

Code:
    mythfrontend --help
    will give your more info.
    Last edited by newlinux; January 25th, 2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: remove inadvertant smiley face and typo
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

many thanks.

At least I now know that I can't reduce its size while it is running.

As for the other keyboard commands, most helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe if you change the setting in the frontend it will restart mythfrontend on its own with the new settings - so that is sort of like changing it when it's running

best wishes.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another key combination that may be helpful when running the frontend and you have no other applications running (so Alt-Tab won't work as newlinux said) is Ctrl-ESC. That pops up the applications menu and you can from there select another application, such as f. ex. terminal. Then you can Alt-Tab between the terminal and the frontend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use Alt-F2 which brings up the 'Run Application' window, you can then alt-tab to that. Different ways to cut the cake as they say.

As for the learning curve, it is indeed steep but well worth climbing. I actually prefer to spend those 6 hours googling as I generally end up learning more along the way. But to each their own.

The thing I love about mythtv and Linux in general is that you can actually test it to destruction as re-installing is easy and fast. I've learnt so much more from re-installing multiple times that my production myth box was a breeze to setup and I'm confident making changes to it. It helped me to look at the first installation as an experiment, not in any way intended to become permanent. It lasted that way for 10 months before I setup the proper box.

Keep at it, and keep asking questions. I still do. It really irritates me the guys who just b1tch and moan about how mythtv isn't 'ready' for release and that the developers should halt all progress and fix it. I just remind myself that it is free, and a damn sight better than any other offering, paid or otherwise.

Acer Aspire Revo R3610/Ubuntu 10.04
    Silverstone LC16B-MR/Asus P5QLD-PRO/Dual Core 2.8Ghz/2GB/nVidia GT220/2x Hauppauge Nova DVB-S2/60GB SSD/Mythbuntu 10.04.1/MythTV 0.24
    Antec 300/Core2Duo 1.86GHz/3GB/nVidia 9400GT/4TB HDD/Ubuntu 10.04.1

Beans

thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

I'm now slugging it out in another topic.. trying to get my tuner card Hauppauge HVR-1250 to work. I'm almost there thanks to those helping me in that thread.

I hope to get this up and running by the end of the day. Thanks to all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12