Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I update my backgrounds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How do I update my backgrounds?

I recently downloaded some 400 wallpapers for my background. I downloaded them into my Downloads folder. From there, I copied them via the terminal to my /usr/share/backgrounds/ folder using

Code:
    sudo cp ~/Downloads/* /user/share/backgrounds/
    Then when I went to select my backgrounds via the change background option under desktop options, none of them were there. So I figured a restart would update the backgrounds list (if there is one) ..... but that didn't work. So I just used the 'add' button on the background selector window and added my /usr/share/backgrounds/ images from that location. They are now in the background list but I was wondering......

Is there a better way to have the backgrounds list (if there really is one. maybe it is a database of some sorts) update/refresh to include the newly added backgrounds in the folder?

I am afraid that I might have duplicates being that I selected ALL of the images in that folder, and some of them already exsisted previously.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

-Spydey

P.S. the only files/directories in my Downloads folder were the background images.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How do I update my backgrounds?

This part is the problem /user/share/backgrounds/, should be /usr/share/backgrounds/.

It's /usr, and not /user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

my bad, it was a typo. the location that I really did put them in is usr, not user. It was just a typo on my end. sorry.

Anyway to update the backgrounds?

Beans

Right-clicking on the Desktop -> Change Background, then clicking and dragging the images into the window sounds like a good idea to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The list of files that appear in the background tab of the Appearance window are in ~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml. The only way I know of getting 400 new ones into that file is to drag the images as ibuclaw describes, or edit the xml file yourself.

Have fun!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another option is running a wallpaper changer application (e.g. DesktopNova), as these usually allow you to define custom wallpaper directories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think that what I did was probably the easiest way to do it. Thanks everyone for your input, it is very much appreciated.

I just wish that it would auto update. I am also using desktop drapes and it monitors specified folders. I told it to monitor my /usr/share/backgrounds/ and it seems to be doing a pretty god job so far. Thanks again everyone for your input.

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know if it's safe or healthy! But when I want to add images to my Backgrounds I download to Pictures. Then in terminal sudo nautilus then go to Pictures > select all > copy then open home >file system > usr > share > backgrounds and then paste.

Then exit terminal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    I don't know if it's safe or healthy! But when I want to add images to my Backgrounds I download to Pictures. Then in terminal sudo nautilus then go to Pictures > select all > copy then open home >file system > usr > share > backgrounds and then paste.

Then exit terminal.
    The problem with that is you don't need root privileges to change a user setting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post

Then exit terminal.
    so, that is exactly what I did. The only issue is that if you then right-click on your desktop, select change background, and then browse through the available backgrounds, the new ones that you just cut & pasted into /usr/share/backgrounds are not there. Even after a restart it doesn't register them. The only way that I could get them to "register" after moving them into /usr/share/backgrounds is to right-click on the desktop, select change background, then click on 'add', then browse to the /usr/share/backgrounds folder and selecting all the backgrounds there. It will sort through them and add the new ones while not creating duplicates of the already existing ones. I hope that is clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ibuclaw
    The problem with that is you don't need root privileges to change a user setting.
    Really? Cause when I tried it without using root privileges, I couldn't get it to work. It wouldn't copy them over for some reason. Granted I didn't use root nautilus to do it, I used the terminal.
    Any thoughts or insight on this? Thanks.

-Spydey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast