Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I update my backgrounds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I update my backgrounds?

I too couldn't get it to work without root but thought that was just me.

Glad you found a work-around spydeyrch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by spydeyrch View Post
    Really? Cause when I tried it without using root privileges, I couldn't get it to work. It wouldn't copy them over for some reason. Granted I didn't use root nautilus to do it, I used the terminal.
    Any thoughts or insight on this? Thanks.
    You need root privileges to copy stuff into a folder in /usr because that is a root-owned part of the system, but you do not need root privileges to add more wallpapers to your selection. Simply store your 400 wallpapers somewhere owned by yourself (somewhere in /home or in a data partition to which you have ordinary access) and then drag and drop the ones you need into the Appearances window. Which is what I do.

You only need to store wallpapers in /usr/share/backgrounds/ if you need them accessed by all accounts on the system in which case you obviously need root privileges because that is, by definition, an administrator task.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the clarification coffeecat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Bahaha I came here thinking I could lend a hand but it looks like you guys have got it sorted! Dang I wanna help someone too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: How do I update my backgrounds?

@coffeecat

Awesome. Thanks for that clarification. I appreciate you help.

@megaptera

Yup, I got it to work. But still, it would be nice to have the system auto-recognize that additional wallpapers were added to the /usr/share/backgrounds/ folder if that is where they are stored.

True, once could do it the way that coffeecat mentioned. Having them stored in a separate folder or partition and just drag-n-drop them into the appearances window, but I like to have things on my system organized in a certain fashion.

So until I have another issue, thanks again everyone.

@Ziskille

Any input you have is greatly appreciated. Do you have an idea or a thought you wanted to share? Perhaps some different approach to this issue that someone hasn't already mentioned?

-Spydey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12