Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: virtualbox with 2.6.38

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: virtualbox with 2.6.38

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    VirtualBox needs some patching to get the kernel drivers to build on mainline 2.6.38.
    Thank you so much for this!
    After spending a good few hours looking for a solution, I was about to give up trying to fix this problem before I saw this thread. Now that your tip fixed it, I'm well and happy again!!!

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

well i've made the changes indicated into post #1, but it seem not enough, i get:

localhost dkms_autoinstaller: vboxhost (4.0.2): Installing module on kernel 2.6.38-1-generic-pae.
    localhost dkms_autoinstaller: (bad exit status: 10)
    localhost dkms_autoinstaller: Build failed. Installation skipped.

so we still need an update or some more tweaks

Beans

If anyones sticking with ose like me, attached is the diff i'm using with current natty version which should get it working for the moment
    Code:
    $ cd /usr/src/virtualbox-ose-3.2.12
    $ sudo patch -p1 < /path/to/file/autoconf-include-fix.diff
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-ose-dkms
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I found a simpler way of fixing the issue. You create a link from the /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-generic/include/generated/autoconf.h to /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-generic/include/linux/autoconf.h. It accomplishes what the original poster wrote, but also maintains backwards compatibility. It's also much less work. In other words:

ln --symbolic /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic/include/generated/autoconf.h /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic/include/linux/autoconf.h

Adjust as needed for your kernel type and version. This worked for me.

Beans

Virtualbox 4.04 with 2.6.38-8 -> no issues

I am really not sure what this thread is all about. Older versions of virtualbox (4.01 and earlier, IF memory serves) did not work with kernel 2.6.38 - and were not intended to (visit the virtualbox forum about this, if you like).

I am currently running virtualbox 4.04 on kernel 2.6.38-8 (generic) withount any tricks, smoke or mirrors. Maybe important, even though I doubt it: I run the backported kernel from Natty on a Lucid base (64 bit).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12