Thread: One topic special issues

Beans

Question One topic special issues

I have just read the editorial in issue #17 - September 2008. In the 2nd paragraph is stated "Many people have asked about pdf files containing an entire series.
    It then goes on to state about a compiling of the PDF series of Scribus tutorials and a pdf of the Create Your Own Server series. What happened to these entire series issues? I would love to see the topics you have covered as a series in one issue for each subject.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: One topic special issues

The series issues unfortunately never happened. The reason is that if I take a 5MB PDF and strip out only the server article pages, I still get a 5MB PDF. So, if I take, say, six issues (at 5MB each) and compile a server series issue, it'd be about 30MB+!

If anyone out there knows of some way to fix this problem then I'd love to know about it!
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    The series issues unfortunately never happened. The reason is that if I take a 5MB PDF and strip out only the server article pages, I still get a 5MB PDF. So, if I take, say, six issues (at 5MB each) and compile a server series issue, it'd be about 30MB+!

If anyone out there knows of some way to fix this problem then I'd love to know about it!
    Ronnie: depends how fancy you want to get with covers and credits? I'm about to send you links to the two Server Series from issues 09-16 and 31-33. Coming in at 6.2 and 2Mb with no edits. My eyes are going but they seem reasonable to me. See what you think. RC
    RobinC@Amethyst
    -----------------------
    "Life, don't talk to me about life..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Somebeachsomewhere View Post
    I have just read the editorial in issue #17 - September 2008. In the 2nd paragraph is stated "Many people have asked about pdf files containing an entire series.
    It then goes on to state about a compiling of the PDF series of Scribus tutorials and a pdf of the Create Your Own Server series. What happened to these entire series issues? I would love to see the topics you have covered as a series in one issue for each subject.
    Well, we finally did it! Check the main site for the first of the Special Editions, beginning as requested with the 9.10 Server series:

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2011/0...erfect-server/

Other compilations will follow at intervals; so far Using GIMP, Virtualisation and the long running Program in Python (volumes 1-3) are being letter-pressed for future release. If anyone has any requests, we'll look into them. I may take another look at the short photo-retouching series myself... RC
    RobinC@Amethyst
    -----------------------
    "Life, don't talk to me about life..."