Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Driver Issues - HELP!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Video Driver Issues - HELP!!!

Hey Guy's,
    I am a bit new to Ubuntu so I apologize if I sound like a newb. Last night I uninstalled the proprietary ati driver and then installed the open source version. Following a reboot, I now get a pink screen with no where to go...I am not sure where to go from here. There is nothing to click on.

I am using a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC (dv6) with an AMD processor and an ATI 4500 series gpu. I also am using Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.

I appreciate any assistance...I really do not want to reinstall everything...

P.S. I am dual booting it with win 7...I know, I know, but unfortunately, I had to....

Thanks....

Beans

Re: Video Driver Issues - HELP!!!

Pink? Nice

You will need to boot to the command line and remove your bad drivers. Put back the good ones and then reboot.

If you can't boot to anywhere then you can try booting from a CD and making the changes from there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lithopsian View Post
    Pink? Nice

You will need to boot to the command line and remove your bad drivers. Put back the good ones and then reboot.

If you can't boot to anywhere then you can try booting from a CD and making the changes from there.
    How do I boot to the command line? It goes right from the Grub menu to a pink screen. It does show the Ubuntu logo and then immediately fades out to a all pink screen with nothing to click on...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

recovery mode in the grub menu
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

I think the first thing to try in order to get to the CLI and a working desktop is to load the Ubuntu recovery entry on Grub. This should be the entry directly underneath your normal boot option and look something like this:

Code:
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-25-generic (recovery mode)
    Assuming this loads and you get to the login screen, then you need to click the user you want to load up (DON'T enter a password yet). From here on the subsequent screen there should be a button at the bottom labelled 'sessions'. Click this and select the 'failsafe' option (I believe this is what it's called). Now enter your password and you will be taken to a CLI.

I think this is worth a try, but not 100% sure it'll work.

EDIT: Looking at pqwoerituytrueiwoq's entry above, my advice may not be necessarily - I was making the broad assumption that the Ubuntu Recovery mode acted in the same way as the OpenSuSe failsafe mode!
    Last edited by ptrinder64; January 20th, 2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Incorrect info?
    My blog on how not to live as a farmer in Brazil - http://petersbrazilnuts.blogspot.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you are having trouble, here are some instructions for entering and using ubuntu's recovery/rescue mode:
    http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_boo...uide/ch08.html

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Video Driver Issues - HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ptrinder64 View Post
    I think the first thing to try in order to get to the CLI and a working desktop is to load the Ubuntu recovery entry on Grub. This should be the entry directly underneath your normal boot option and look something like this:

Code:
    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-25-generic (recovery mode)
    Assuming this loads and you get to the login screen, then you need to click the user you want to load up (DON'T enter a password yet). From here on the subsequent screen there should be a button at the bottom labelled 'sessions'. Click this and select the 'failsafe' option (I believe this is what it's called). Now enter your password and you will be taken to a CLI.

I think this is worth a try, but not 100% sure it'll work.

EDIT: Looking at pqwoerituytrueiwoq's entry above, my advice may not be necessarily - I was making the broad assumption that the Ubuntu Recovery mode acted in the same way as the OpenSuSe failsafe mode!
    I was able to boot into recovery mode. I am now sitting at a command prompt with networking. I am just not sure how to uninstall the driver and reinstall the correct open source ati driver with all of its dependencies...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nezmin2 View Post
    I was able to boot into recovery mode. I am now sitting at a command prompt with networking. I am just not sure how to uninstall the driver and reinstall the correct open source ati driver with all of its dependencies...
    I would just CD back to the location where you downloaded the proprietary driver, and just rerun the installer. it will unlink the open driver in the process.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by endotherm View Post
    I would just CD back to the location where you downloaded the proprietary driver, and just rerun the installer. it will unlink the open driver in the process.
    +1 for this.

However if you can not remember where you saved the driver, or for some reason deleted it this may not be an option. I'm assuming you are using a live CD to go on Ubuntu forums? If so, all you need to do if you don't have the files any more is go to the site of your graphics card (Nvidia or ATI) using the live CD, mount your normal home partition, and save the files there. Once this has been done, reboot into the Ubuntu recovery mode and unpack the files by changing directory to your home file.

I think this will automatically remove the non-proprietary drivers so do this first. If you think the other drivers are still on the system AFTER you have done the above, then you can remove these by running in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove <name of drivers>
    My blog on how not to live as a farmer in Brazil - http://petersbrazilnuts.blogspot.com/

Beans
    Distro

oops... duplicate post...
    Last edited by ptrinder64; January 20th, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast