Thread: Probs eee pc 1001pq - microphone & touchpad

Beans

Probs eee pc 1001pq - microphone & touchpad

Hi!
    My daughter got an eee pc 1001 pq netbook for christmas and really wanted ubuntu.

I managed to install it (after some probs with partitions). I installed ubuntu netbook edition (10.10)

Problem now: microphone is not working (most urgent issue as she keeps contact with friends and family abroad using skype)

and: can't enlarge the screen with touchpad (you can do some fairly nifty things with the touchpad under windows 7)

I've seen some docs on microphone issue - but I'm not sure whether these fixes apply to 1001 pq.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Would be really great if I could make this a good experience for her and would be very grateful for any tips, tricks or links.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thumbs down Re: Probs eee pc 1001pq - microphone & touchpad

Sorry nobody got back to you about your problem. That sometimes happens.

Did you ever find a solution? I have the same problem and Googling hasn't given me exactly the results I need.

This page details the same problem with the 1001PX, I am not sure how similar they are. There are just so many eeepcs out now, and they all seemingly have different hardware configurations.

I have tried the fix that requires you to install pavucontrol and alter the left mic to 90% and the right to 10%. That had no effect.

The PX has two bugs about microphone problems filed.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/580183
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/689258
    I've searched for bugs specifically relating to the 1001PQ and found nothing.

Anyway, I hope the 1001PQ and the PX are not that similar because they report there is no fix! "This model still has problems with the internal microphone and there doesn't seem to be any fix available at the moment. This model also features a combined input/output audio jack which also isn't working properly."

Please let us know if you found any fixes!

Jimmy
    I pity the fool.

Beans

Re: Probs eee pc 1001pq - microphone & touchpad

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your reply.

I've managed to get the mic on my own laptop working (ASUS f3f). In this case it was simply a matter of setting it to 'microphone 2' instead of 'microphone 1'

I also had some probs getting my webcam to record with sound. I've got that running too. I've been writing up my trials and errors - so I'll post it once I'm done. It might just help other newbies.

I haven't been able to try that on the eeepc yet as my daughter has been away. I'm hoping to have a another shot at it this weekend.

You mentioned there is no fix for PX. Do you know whether this just relates to the internal microphone? Maybe it's possible to get an external mic to work.

It would be fabulous to get it working - I've been playing around with effects etc on my laptop and I know she'll love it. Obviously once other kids see the Rolls Royce of operating systems with cool effects and speed; I'm tempted to think they might want it too.

Obviously I also want her to learn about opensource software and get her away from the usual MS software they learn about at school. One of the reasons I wanted to install ubuntu on her netbook right from start was that she had disabled anti-virus software on her old (Windows) laptop and ended up wriddled with nasty stuff. That was a bit of a worry. I refrained from boring her about internet safety.

Getting kids familiar with Ubuntu is the key to making an OS truly successful. It is not necessary to give them a lecture about ethics regarding opensource - I'm afraid speed, looks and no crashing is all that really matters to a teen.

Thanks again! I'll let you know about the outcome.

Beans

Re: Probs eee pc 1001pq - microphone & touchpad

oops - sorry - just noticed your comment about input/output jack.