Thread: Proper way to mount a usb drive under 10.04

Beans

Proper way to mount a usb drive under 10.04

I have a HDD that I'd like to use as a backup location for my server. I have found that rsync should work to run my backups, but I would need it to automatically mount my drive. I went into my fstab and have added the drive by it's UUID. But when I reboot the server, it doesn't auto mount it. I have tried to use auto instead of ntfs-3g. but that didn't work either.
    I would also know how to properly use rsync to run my backup. I may have come close to figuring that one out, though.

I have included my fstab entry, and my script
    UUID=168d39e18d37b67 /media/AllTheBackup ntfs-3g user,rw,nosuid 0 0

#!/bin/sh
    while [ 1 ]
    do
    if [ -e "/media/AllTheBackup" ]
    then
    rsync -c /home/media/emu /media/AllTheBackup/
    rsync -c /home/media/music /media/AllTheBackup/
    rsync -c /home/media/pics /media/AllTheBackup/
    else
    sleep 15
    fi
    done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Proper way to mount a usb drive under 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by dsmryder View Post

I have a HDD that I'd like to use as a backup location for my server. I have found that rsync should work to run my backups, but I would need it to automatically mount my drive. I went into my fstab and have added the
    To be fair, I'm partially replying so that I see answers to the above myself! As it stands, I'm having to run Nautilus just to mount the external HDD, but testing for a file in the root of the external HDD before backing up.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmryder View Post
    I would also know how to properly use rsync to run my backup. I may have come close to figuring that one out, though.
    I almost used rsync - then I found rdiff-backup. The diff files save me LOTS of time, space, and disk activity. Otherwise my backup script looks very similar to yours - here's one chunk:

Code:
    if [ -f /media/backup/testfile.sh ]
        then
    rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 20B /media/backup/usr/
    sudo rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics --exclude '**log' --exclude '**vdi' /usr /media/backup/usr
    fi
    I inject people with radioactive stuff for a living. But only to serve the forces of good.
    webpage | blog