Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Boot from CD (Running Maverick on iBook G4)

Beans

Can't Boot from CD (Running Maverick on iBook G4)

I installed a PPC version of Ubuntu 10.10 on my iBook last night. It's really slow and buggy. I'm trying to find a good Linux distro that can be EASILY installed on an iBook so I can recommend it to a friend who has never used Linux and has an iBook she wants to convert. I came across an LXDE edition of Linux Mint 9. I thought I would try that next, but ever since I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my iBook, I can't get it to boot from a CD. I also tried a bootable CD of DSL that I know works, because I just used it two days ago on a different computer, so I don't think it's the disk that is causing the problem. I'm guessing the answer is in understanding this message from yaboot (please explain):

To boot a kernel image which is not defined in the yaboot configuration file, enter the kernel image as [[device:][partno],]/path, where "device:" is the OpenFirmware device path to the disk the image resides on, and "partno" is the partition number the image resides on. Note that the comma (,) is only required if you specify an OpenFirmware device, if you only specify a filename you should not start it with a ","

What should I enter at the boot prompt?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't Boot from CD (Running Maverick on iBook G4)

Boot a CD with the "C" key hold down at boot. To boot from USB, see the installation instructions for MintPPC.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To boot from CD hold down the "c" key during boot. To boot from USB, see the MintPPC installation instructions.

Beans

I should have specified. I was already booting while holding down "C". That brings me to:

Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
    Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
    boot:

When I enter "help", I get:

Press the tab key for a list of defined images.
    The label marked with a "*" is the default image. press <return> to boot it.

To boot any other label simply type its name and press <return>.

To boot a kernel image which is not defined in the yaboot configuration file, enter the kernel image as [[device:][partno],]/path, where "device:" is the OpenFirmware device path to the disk the image resides on, and "partno" is the partition number the image resides on. Note that the comma (,) is only required if you specify an OpenFirmware device, if you only specify a filename you should not start it with a ","

If you omit "device:" and "partno" yaboot will use the values of "device-/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:

boot:

Any suggestions?

In the meantime, I will try the USB installation. I didn't think that was an option on an iBook. The instructions say it works on some and not on others so we'll see.

Thanks.

Beans

No luck with the USB installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

at boot:
    just enter, it will run the installer.

Beans

Still no luck. Pressing enter at the boot prompt just boots from the hard drive.

Beans

Folks:

Similar issues as Dan has described with Mav 10.10 burned to DVD since CD is not large enough to hold Desktop edition--when booting from DVD I get the black screen with the Terminal type white letters. When I hit "enter" or "help" or "live" I get a sound of busy-ness from the iMac G4 as it seems to be loading the DVD?? But then the screen just stays black. I'm trying to just boot from DVD so that I can see how the system works, but it's just giving me blackness. Any ideas? It seems like I'm getting to the same place as Dan, but when it tries to move beyond the command line?? it doesn't get there.

Thanks
    e.e.p.

Beans

I ended up booting from USB, but you could also try holding down the "option" key after your computer chimes when turning it on. This should bring you to a graphical interface where you can boot from a CD.

Where did you get the DVD of Ubuntu 10.10? You shouldn't need a DVD, and if you're trying to install on an iBook you definitely need a PowerPC version on Ubuntu 10.10. This may be your problem. You can download a PowerPC version here. Make sure you select the Mac (PowerPC) version. I used this iso for my iBook G4. It worked just fine except I was not satisfied with the speed. I only have 256K of RAM and I think it's a 2.0 GHz processor (don't have it with me). If Maverick is too slow on your machine consider Linux Mint PPC or Lubuntu.

Beans

Correction:

The live CD iso for 10.10 PPC is 710 MB; I guess you do need a DVD. I had used the Alternate CD because I knew I wanted to install to the hard drive anyway. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast