Hi all,

I have just recently noticed that I no longer receive notification of any kind?

This includes notifications from update manager for security updates, I have the correct settings for 'notify me only' so as I can select if I want to update, but I used to get a message saying that there where some available, now I get nothing?

Also I no longer receive the little pop-up for notification of new email. This isn't so important, as it stops me from checking it all the time - I can now make sure I only check / respond at certain times, much more efficient (and I get notification onto my phone anyhow!).

I'm not sure if it is an older update that caused things to break or not, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I should start to look to investigate.

I did install the following
update-notifier and mail-notification

but it seemed to make no difference - and I can't find details on how to 'configure' either. Although from what I have read I don't need to 'configure' update-notifier

I also do seem to have the 'notification area' or 'system tray' (whichever you want to call it) applet installed, but it only seems to have tomboy notes in it, and I don't see how to add other things into it.

I've been reading this article but I'm confused as to why I don't get notification from anywhere, and why I only have tomboy in the 'notifications area' ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

please note. I'm running LXDE (without the normal file browser - which I removed, is the causing the problem?), with nautilus (as I prefer it and it works better), and I am on 10.04

Anyway what I do to investigate?

thanks in advance.

David