Thread: Choosing Hotkeys

Beans

Choosing Hotkeys

How do you find open hotkeys and choose new ones?

Beans

Re: Choosing Hotkeys

To elaborate on my question, here's an example: suppose I had a custom script to move a window from my left monitor to my right monitor or vice versa. How would I find a keyboard shortcut that was not already in use? How would I find similar actions -- such as move to workspace right -- and use a nearby key? Are there any keyboard shortcuts that are set aside for user customization (i.e. that Ubuntu doesn't use, web browsers don't use, terminal doesn't use, etcetera)?

I am aware that there may be no "ideal" procedure for choosing a keyboard shortcut, but if you have a technique, please share.

Note: I know that compiz has a plugin to move a window to another monitor and that its shortcut is alt+i. I was just using the action as an example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you been to System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts? I don't know if it would warn you if you chose a combination that was already in use. You could disable something that you never use.
    Give me a stable operating system, and I will make it unstable

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corncob View Post
    Have you been to System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by corncob View Post
    I don't know if it would warn you if you chose a combination that was already in use. You could disable something that you never use.
    I'm also not sure if it warns either. What I might end up doing is fiddle around with it, try to determine if there are any large groups of unused keyboard shortcuts, and write a how-to. That is, if no one else has solved this problem.