Thread: sensible emain config for home LAN (I use gmail)

Beans

sensible email config for home LAN (I use gmail)

I'd like to get a sensible email configuration setup on my home LAN. At present, every time I am presented with the prompt to configure postfix, I select no configuration because I don't know how to proceed.

Ordinarily I use gmail for my personal email needs. What I would like is some email configuration on the machines I manage on our home LAN that would forward locally generated email to my gmail account. This would be stuff like notifications from system tools like cron and smartmon. I would also include email notification in some of the things I custom script such as backups.

What I have:
    - file server (running 10.04 LTS server)
    - several laptops used by various family members
    - desktop

Laptops and desktops run more or less current versions of Ubuntu. Laptops may not always be on the home LAN but email could wait until they return home.

I found this description http://www.marksanborn.net/linux/sen...tu-lts-server/ that seems to be part of the solution. I believe I could set that up on my server and use it to forward email to gmail for further transport (usually to me.)

Other parts I think I would need are:

• ~/.forward files on each PC to forward all incoming email to <myaccount>@gmail.com
    • check config to make sure all admin related email goes to my user.
    • postconfig which specifies that email is sent to my mail server.

Does this make sense or over-complicating this?

thanks,
    hank

Edit: Maybe this tutorial is more appropriate: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/11/...-smtpgmailcom/
    Last edited by HankB; January 18th, 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: new info