Thread: Introduction to Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Introduction to Linux

I wrote an introduction to Linux on my site. I remember when I wanted to try linux but went to linux.com to download it! So my introduction is designed for people who wish to try Linux. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.tux-crazy.com/2011/01/int...hat-it-is.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Introduction to Linux

Nice article!

A few points to improve the article:

• You mention not to use it if you are a gamer, this was true in 2010 but this year games are being developed using the unigine engine which provides stunning graphics and gameplay that are available on windows, linux and the ps3.

• Also you mention not to use it if you use commercial applications, this is certainly true if you are a designer and need to use Adobe's creative suite. However, there are now commercial applications for linux which are filling this gap. Microsoft Office on linux can be replaced by Libre Office.

Hope you keep using Ubuntu!
    -KVarley
    -Proud member of the Linux Foundation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you very much for your input. I have updated the Gaming section based on your suggestion. However, I don't think I can do the same for OpenOffice and Microsoft Office. I once asked my father to try Ubuntu but his work requires a lot of powerpoint usage and sharing powerpoints. When he was sending presentations back and forth, there were some compatibility issues. For a simple presentation, it might not be a problem but these were complex ones, with lots of objects and diagrams.

Thank you very much anyway for your constructive feedback. I read a little about Unigine and it sounds very promising.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

office 2007 i belive works under WINE.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, it does work but not perfectly. I tried it once and had difficulty opening more than one window with it. It was also a bit slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Yes thats true once. But with the latest versions of wine Office seems to run perfectly (wine version 1.3x).

That is perhaps a general point that you may want to add -distros package up work at a fixed point in time. However software rapidly advances, and the great flexibility is that you can often get the latest and best relatively easily by adding a ppa or two...
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for your reply. I looked up Office 2007(installer) and just the installer wasn't given a platinum rating at the WINE DB website for the 1.3x series. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=4992

Once it does, I'll be sure to update that article.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Don't forget Microsoft's online apps for all the Office products. They work very well. Not sure how the PP would work with having to do them so often, but they should be fine.

Just a point I thought I'd make.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you. I had a look at Microsoft online apps and they look quite nice. It is understandable that a lot of features are removed. However, the people who would need Office in Linux in the first place are the people who normally need all of these features. For example, someone who needs to do something like this http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_G5KFlk98Te...Unbenannt6.PNG won't be able to use the online version.

But thank you for your point. It is a very useful thing for people who want to make sure that the documents that they are sending are compatible with Microsoft office. I hope MS adds more features there but then, who would buy Office then I use OpenOffice and Lyx and I'm very happy with them. Even on Windows, I would use them instead of MS Office.