Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual booting Kubunt & Ubuntu 10.10 'chainloading'

Beans

Re: Dual booting Kubunt & Ubuntu 10.10 'chainloading'

I lost both of them now. I get grub boot menu to edit command line stage 1.5
    up to not so long ago i thought that all the lines of text on black screen were'nt for my eyes to see.. let alone edit why does a bit of white light on a black screen seems such a dodgy place to be in?.. it don't scare me anymore but i still need to know exactly what to punch in.
    i must have read five different ways of mending my predicament +1 to simply delete the Kubuntu & try it again with editing the 8'th step of the installation sequence..just read this one other method.
    i must have changed the grub config ,the good thing is fedora boots from the external disk
    i had to backup the boot menu.lst first.
    i miss my Ubuntu now too.

Beans

i lost everything ,even fedora does'nt boot up anymore i was gonna format the whole disk empty & clean install before the month is even out,not usual.
    cd rom does'nt boot or load either ....
    greed to have a third Linux distro ,i guess .without being able to handle 1
    mia culpa ;mia culpa..

Beans

I have rebooted after the last fase i showed up here 'previous post' ,exited because as shown on screenshot with the command grep menuentry and when i turned the pc on later nothing booted ,not even fedora14 on external drive.
    I found out that m keyboard switches to qwerty while in grub boot menu C-line. & that's as far as it'll go.
    I was gonna remove the whole mess i made with the grep command by formatting 'wipe clean' the whole drv from fedora14,but that didnt boot either.
    I know only one way to get a clear drive and it's one hell of a long way around but for an 'idiot;always newbie' i am left with the only option of trying a windows cd which i think will clear out grub2 and then reinstall ubuntu over that,sounds crazy :yes i have tried a live cd ,it does'nt boot or mnt i don't know what it's supposed to do ,this affair has gone from negligible not available Kubuntu to nothing available .
    If anyone can help please. the alternative is'nt pretty .
    p.s. sorry garvinrick4 4 messing up you'r advice & my machine
    mia culpa !

Beans

I think i know what happened. grep brought over the grub that fedora uses. i had it plugged in when i ran that grep command .
    I am gonna cheat otherwise now ,instead of windows i can switch the drives 'eurika'
    so much for chainloading

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just believe you have grub-legacy and grub2 installed in internal drive somehow and the Fedora drive comes with grub-legacy.
    CD should always work if CD is choosen first in order of boot. Must get it working so can run this:
    SourceForge.net: Boot Info Script - Project Web Hosting - Open Source Software
    download above to DESKTOP. Only takes a minute.
    Now run below in a terminal and will put a text file on your desktop, copy and paste it to
    this thread and after pasted highlight whole thing and hit the # sign in upper right of message box to put in nice little box to read, is long.
    Code:
     sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    ## Just a matter of purging your grub and reinstalling them in right place.
    Not a major thing. Instructions below but post results so we can read:
    HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD - Ubuntu Forums
    ###By the way as you see grub-legacy and grub2 work together like water and oil.
    They do not play together well at all. Good thing it is easily fixable.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; January 17th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12