Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 Headless server help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Post Ubuntu 10.10 Headless server help

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a headless server to stream media and act as a print server etc. (Hence i don't need a screen or keyboard, just a wired network connection and power)

I have a few questions in regards to this type of set-up;

I searched the forums and found that Ubuntu wont boot without a monitor with gdm enabled, so i edited grub config (added text to quiet splash in grub.list and reloaded the config).

Will Ubuntu now boot with no monitor attached?

Additionally if Ubuntu does start, will it automatically configure network connection?

I have searched the forums, and a lot of the information is outdated. However if there is a guide somewhere to create this setup could someone point it out to me?

Thanks in Advance.
    A PC fire is like a Mac fire except a Mac fire is more hip and condescending!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 Headless server help

IF you are running a headless server, you don't need gdm to start on boot, unless you are using the remote desktop application to access it. The easiest way to solve your problem is use ssh plus X-forwarding to manage the server eg:

Code:
    ssh -X user@server
    then at the prompt type the name of the application you want to use.

Using the remote desktop application, just enable auto login and you shouldn't have a problem connecting to the desktop. To eanble it just use the ssh command above, then at the prompt type:

Code:
    gdmsetup
    set the user, and reboot.

Beans

I've done more headless linux boxes than I have desktop environments. I've been using Linux well over a decade.

There is nothing about Linux that requires a keyboard, mouse or monitor. The X server requires a monitor at least, since its purpose is to provide a user interface to whoever is logged in.

Install Ubuntu Server. There's no reason to have any X code at all on a server.

If your system won't boot without the keyboard/monitor/mouse then it's something in your BIOS that you can change.
    Help stamp out MBR partitions. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the info, got it running in no time.(Had to change bios settings)
    A PC fire is like a Mac fire except a Mac fire is more hip and condescending!!!