Thread: Need simple image viewer with rename

Beans

Need simple image viewer with rename

I have switched from windows to ubuntu 10.10 and i need a program that allows me to view a directory of images, scroll through them one-by-one and easily rename the file as im viewing it. Would be nice if the program also allowed me add text to the image and rotate it, much the way Google Picasa does. Would be ideal if did all that and organized my pictures directory.

Guess i basically want Picasa in Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Need simple image viewer with rename

Sounds like gthumb does most of what you want - available in the repos.

If you want something more powerful, you can try the Shotwell Photo Manager that comes with ubuntu - it creates a DB of photos for easy management. Try them out [it only takes a second] and decide.

There is also F-Spot, which used to be included in ubuntu by default, but I think Shotwell is better.

lastly, you can try running Picasa on Wine - it is supposed to work fine, and if that is what you are used to, what could be better?
    Intel E6300 / MSI P4M890M / 2GB DDR2 677 / 80GB + 1TB SATA2 / GeForce 6200TC / DL DVD+-RW / Dell 24" U2410

Beans
    Distro

If you want something more powerful, you can try the Shotwell Photo Manager that comes with ubuntu - it creates a DB of photos for easy management. Try them out [it only takes a second] and decide.

There is also F-Spot, which used to be included in ubuntu by default, but I think Shotwell is better.

lastly, you can try running Picasa on Wine - it is supposed to work fine, and if that is what you are used to, what could be better?

EDIT - Sorry about the multi-post... no idea how that happened!
    Last edited by smartbei; January 15th, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
    Intel E6300 / MSI P4M890M / 2GB DDR2 677 / 80GB + 1TB SATA2 / GeForce 6200TC / DL DVD+-RW / Dell 24" U2410

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by williewiskers View Post
    Guess i basically want Picasa in Ubuntu...
    Why not install Picasa?
    http://picasa.google.com/linux/faq.html
    For the newest Picasa you have to do a little work..
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/how-t...in-ubuntu.html