Thread: Accessing Hotspots

Beans

Accessing Hotspots

For most this will be a 'idiot question' but I have always been 'desktop bound' - until now - have just got a laptop with 10.04.

My destop PCs running 10.04 are easy to configure and automatically pick up my wireless router at home.
    But lets say I am in an internet cafe that is a wifi hotspot - how do I access it ?
    With Windows7 it is straightforward - Inssider finds all available networks and using Windows7 I can connect to public networks easily.
    But what about with 10.04 ?

Assuming I am sitting in an internet cafe, can someone take a 'first timer' thru the steps to connect ?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Accessing Hotspots

Simple

Just click the wireless icon in the top of the screen.
    Then select the network you would like to join.
    Enter the security protocol code (if one)
    Then your computer should ask for an ip address.
    And your computer should be able to access the internet and local network.
    Blake Peterman
    blakepeterman.com

Beans

thanks blakep2.
    just one question.
    you say "Then select the network you would like to join". Does this assume that if the laptop "finds" a network [eg the hotspot] then it will add it to the list of wireless networks that shows up in the list accessed via the wireless icon ?
    thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not have a laptop but this is how I imagine it will work. I go into a cafe that is a hotspot. I switch on the laptop and during the boot process network manager will scan for any wireless networks in range. Now all I have to do is select one to connect to from the list that I see when I left click the icon.

I imagine things will work this way because that is what happens when I switch on my home machine (which could be a laptop), with the exception that network manager is set up to connect to my wireless modem automatically. So, at home I do not need to select from a list.

If my modem is switched off then network manager will advise me that there are wireless networks available.

Why should things be different when using a portable computer in a different place?

Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Why should things be different when using a portable computer in a different place?
    Regards.
    As a general rule, Places that provide free WiFi access want their hotspots to be easy to connect to. So they do two things. -- 1) Broadcast the SSID of the Hotspot, and 2) do not use Encryption.

ex: Borders Books: SSID - Borders,
    ex: McDonalds: SSID: attwifi

Because the SSIDs are broadcasted, you will see them in the drop down, when you left click on the Network Manager. Once you connect to them, you will not be prompted for a password, BUT ::
    -- The first time you connect, you must run your web browser, and you will be redirected to a 'Accept Use Policy Screen' -- their may be a check mark you need to click on, or a 'submit' button to accept the terms of use. --

Then you can browse the web normally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wouldn't have said it any differently.
    Blake Peterman
    blakepeterman.com

Beans

Thanks everyone.