Thread: Can't Install Ubuntu Server

Beans

Can't Install Ubuntu Server

im having some trouble installing on an older PC. i tried installing with a cd and a pen drive and it will go no where. i can select the language and the i can choose what OS to install like server or server cloud. but then it either freezes and turns black or it might reboot. i have tried the pen drive on another PC and it will try to install perfectly.
    here is my hardware to see if its a problem with it. i looked in some of the requirements and it seems that my hardware is good enough, but it might be something it doesnt like.
    the PC i had it working on was a AMD quad core, with similar specs.

Asus M2A-VM Mobo
    AMD 64 X2 dual 2.6ghz
    4g ram(4x1g OCZ PC6400)
    320g sata WD HD
    IDE DVD Rom
    onboard vga card being used.

i tried looking for over an hour for something to answer my Q, but i broke down and made a post, im sorry if it was somewhere i could see it easily, but i didnt see anything pertaining to my problem. thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't Install Ubuntu Server

Are you trying to install the 32 or 64 bit version? Maybe try a Memory test from the install menu to see if the RAM is faulty?

Rgds
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

on-board VGA?
    make sure you are using the right distor 32\64 BIT and also try in safe vga mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

on-board VGA?
    make sure you are using the right distor 32\64 BIT and also try in safe vga mode

Beans

i was using the 64 bit version. i cant even get past choosing which server install to pick. if i peick either the cloud or just server it will stop and the screen will go blank and not go any farther. i pick the language, then the server version then it goes blank.
    im stumpted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ericm1205 View Post
    i was using the 64 bit version. i cant even get past choosing which server install to pick. if i peick either the cloud or just server it will stop and the screen will go blank and not go any farther. i pick the language, then the server version then it goes blank.
    im stumpted.
    Did you do a memtest as was asked of you? Have you run a desktop version of ubuntu on it? (That one includes a livecd, so you can see how Ubuntu *should* run on the rig).
    Last edited by arrrghhh; January 14th, 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

i did run the mem test and it passed. i think it did. atleast my son aid it did. ill try it again.

it was running win7 and it did have ubuntu on it for a while as my son's pc before he upgraded. i can try to put the 10.10 on it and see how it does.

il also try to strip it down a few to make it more barebones. remove 2 sticks of memory, 1 hard drive. and ill try to update the bios and other stuff to see if that helps.
    Last edited by Ericm1205; January 15th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.