Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Sandy Bridge with Ubuntu

Beans

Intel Sandy Bridge with Ubuntu

Has anyone managed to get Ubuntu running with one of the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors?

I'm planning to build a system with an i7 2600k, and trying to work out which motherboard I should get. I want to get one with that supports overclocking, which means it has to be the P67 chipset.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they had no problems so far with an MSI P67A-GD55 motherboard.

Anyone else have any experience with one of these chips yet?

Beans

Re: Intel Sandy Bridge with Ubuntu

I'm running i5-2500k on a asus p8h67-m pro motherboard. Wanted to save some money and use the on board graphics and don't need to overclock (it's fast already!). Everything works after a little tinkering (not much). Had to install latest X.org from xorg-edgers ppa, along with kernel 2.6.37 (also on their ppa) to get accelerated X. Compiz has the chipset blacklisted, so I had to apt-get source for compiz and remove the blacklisted sandy bridge stuff. Now desktop effects also work nicely. Added coretemp and pkgtemp manually to /etc/modules so get temp sensors readouts.

Beans

If anyone else has a sandy bridge cpu and they want to use the gpu,. then do (on maverick)

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    and to enable desktop effects you can get the slightly modified compiz from my ppa
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jools/sandybridge
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Last edited by exobuzz; January 15th, 2011 at 01:45 AM.

Beans

Thanks for that. I am probably going to go with an ASUS P8P67 LE, so that's good to hear you didn't have many problems.

Beans

Hi,

And how about cpu temperature monitoring (lm_sensors/coretemp)? I'll be getting a 2600K sometime next week with an asus p67? board.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian dobson View Post
    Hi,

And how about cpu temperature monitoring (lm_sensors/coretemp)? I'll be getting a 2600K sometime next week with an asus p67? board.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    yeh - just modules pkgtemp/coretemp. sensors-detect didnt manage to do this one automatically, so i just modprobed and saw they work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by exobuzz View Post
    yeh - just modules pkgtemp/coretemp. sensors-detect didnt manage to do this one automatically, so i just modprobed and saw they work.
    OK, good to hear. This box will ba used as a headless compute/compile node and I really don't was it to over heat.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the 2500k and the ASUS P8P67 PRO Motherboard.

You might notice that the CPU scaling is a bit off, basically how it works is this:

3301 MHZ = Whatever turbo speed you set into bios
    3300 MHZ = 3300 MHz
    3100 MHz = 3100 MHz
    etc....

I have confirmed that overclocking works with an mprime benchmark (consistent and predictable results). However, whenever I try and boot at a CPU speed above 4.4 GHz the boot hangs. It's not a question of CPU stability as it always hangs at the same place:

NET: Registered protocol family 17

I've also tried throwing more voltage at the chip, but it's not doing anything. I'm fully stable at 4.4 GHz (44x100) with 1.25v, but at 45x I can't boot, even with 1.45v. I'v also tried a a 44x multi with higher BCLK for a 4.5 GHz OC, and still no dice . It really sucks, and when I re-install windows in a couple of days I'll see what the highest speed I can get with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been working on this problem some more...

I first updated the motherboard's EFI to version 1053, and this fixed one of the problems. Now the CPU scaler correctly detects my overclock, stating the maximum CPU frequency to be 4.801 GHz (4.9 GHz set in EFI). So now it is:

4801 MHz = 4900 MHz
    4800 MHz = 4800 MHz
    All the way down to
    1600 MHz = 1600 MHz

The bios update also increased the speed limit before I hit that Boot Hang at Registered Protocol 17 to 4.9 GHz, so that is where I am currently overclocked to. I'm installing Windows later today so I'll be able to determine if this is a hardware or software problem.

Beans

Anyone running on ssd with these builds and have any issues? I need to dual boot windows for games so I'm interested on how your windows install went.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast