Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly to return to 9.10 ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Silly to return to 9.10 ?

I've been with Ubuntu since 6.x, Dapper Drake. And so far, my favorite, smoothest, least buggy, prettiest, and fastest starting release, was 9.10, Karmic Koala.

I had problems with 10.04, and it's gotten worse with 10.10. And I seem to be troubleshooting something every time I sit at the machine.

Weird startup noises, all sorts of troubles with Plymouth, always restart with an 800x600 resolution, had to wrestle to get things like the battery applet back in the panel, audio problems, wireless driver problems... it's just always something. I don't enjoy Ubuntu like I used to. I've even started looking at different distros, but I'm just not in the mood to relearn all the ins and outs (synaptic vs yum and so forth).

But I'm hesitant to go *back* in editions.

Is this a bad idea?

I'm *hopeful*, that the worse that can happen is I wont like Natty when it's released either, but can stick with Koala while I start looking at other distros. Right? Any risks I'm overlooking on going back to 9.10?

Any advice?

Thanks!

-zami

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Silly to return to 9.10 ?

I'd advice you to check Linux Mint Debian Edition. No reason to stay with an outdated distro, there are plenty of solutions out there.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i see no problem in using and older version that has worked for you. heck some people still use windows 2000...

use what works for you.

but dont give other distros the boot, this is probably a good chance to get a few blank cds and try the ones not directly based on ubuntu: pclinuxOS, linuxmint debian, mandriva, opensuse, etc.

On the other hand Natty may work again for you, but you never know when a change to a distro will have problems with your hardware, so is good that we have other options.
    Last edited by madjr; January 13th, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zami View Post
    I've been with Ubuntu since 6.x, Dapper Drake. And so far, my favorite, smoothest, least buggy, prettiest, and fastest starting release, was 9.10, Karmic Koala.

I had problems with 10.04, and it's gotten worse with 10.10. And I seem to be troubleshooting something every time I sit at the machine.
    That's absolutely hilarious to me, because I consider 9.10 to be Canonical's equivalent to Windows ME. I had nothing but problems and 9.10 lasted less than a week on my laptop.

10.04 improved for me in some areas, but was too slow. 10.10 (or I should say the kernel) has a problem with my wireless, so I can't complain there.

I second LMDE.

Beans
    Hidden!

Strange, 9.10 was the last Ubuntu release that I managed to install without problems. After 10.04 I just gave up trying to fix the stability issues and replaced the tech-support-slave PCs with whacked out versions of CentOS.

ymmv applies to everything. My only advice is that if it works for you there are no problems with you using it.

I would recommend 8.04 though, since it has KDE 3.5 () and will be supported for a while longer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I also say go even father back to 8.04. If it works, don't bother changing it.
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Im still Using Karmic Im reluctant to upgrade I do like the sound of Linux mint debian but a rolling release makes me nervous.If it isnt broke dont fix it!
    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

Beans

I loved Karmic. I think it was great release.

As for the problems with 10.04 and 10.10, did you do a full clean install or did you leave the /home.

When I installed the 10.04 release, I backed up all of my data and the .mozilla folder, then completed a full clean install. I tried just clean installing and leaving the /home, but the themes and such were all messed up and some of the apps were unhappy.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

My favorite release of Ubuntu is Hardy. Had problems in Karmic on my laptop to do with Graphics issues so it wasn't my favorite.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I loved 9.10; it was my first *buntu installed. I used Kubuntu 9.10 for a while and then switched to Ubuntu 9.10. I was happy with Kubuntu, but wanted to try Ubuntu.

I tried Kubuntu 10.04 and promptly screwed it up; it was all my doing and so I don't blame the release or distribution.

If you like 9.10, stick with it. If you want to try other distributions, go for the Live CD's for a few days and see how they work out.

Keep in mind updates and security.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast