Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problems with microphone - Kubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Problems with microphone - Kubuntu 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by didig View Post
    Guys - uninstall Pulse Audio, uninstall pavucontrol (If you've had it installed)... and you are through! All sounds settings will be working. No problem with Skype anymore!!!
    agreed, it's been great as far.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Some update killed my microphone

I had the microphone working just fine a week or so ago. Now it's dead. I had pulseaudio installed then. I just tried removing it and pavucontrol, but that didn't help. kmix tells me that I have no capture devices, which is also what pavucontrol tells me when it's installed. Communication Devices under Systems Settings / Multimedia lists just Pulseaudio Sound Server.

I'm somewhat doubtful that removing pulseaudio is really the answer, since it was installed when my mike was working.

It's maddeningly frustrating when things that were working stop working, most likely because of some update or other. I guess that keeping my system updated is the way to go, but sometimes the consequences are terrible.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Some update killed my microphone

Quote Originally Posted by pwabrahams View Post
    I had the microphone working just fine a week or so ago. Now it's dead. I had pulseaudio installed then. I just tried removing it and pavucontrol, but that didn't help. kmix tells me that I have no capture devices, which is also what pavucontrol tells me when it's installed. Communication Devices under Systems Settings / Multimedia lists just Pulseaudio Sound Server.

I'm somewhat doubtful that removing pulseaudio is really the answer, since it was installed when my mike was working.

It's maddeningly frustrating when things that were working stop working, most likely because of some update or other. I guess that keeping my system updated is the way to go, but sometimes the consequences are terrible.

what version are you using, what hardware is that box sporting?

i would imagine something like that being frustrating, updates can sometimes break stuff that worked perfectly before, what updates caused this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My environment

I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 on an Asus K60IJ machine. Here's my sound hardware environment as shown by hwinfo:
    Code:
    Model: "Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller"
      Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
      Device: pci 0x293e "82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller"
      SubVendor: pci 0x1111 "Santa Cruz Operation"
      SubDevice: pci 0x1043 
      Revision: 0x03
      Driver: "HDA Intel"
      Driver Modules: "snd_hda_intel"
    I don't know which update broke it, since there have been several in the last week or so. I haven't done anything requiring the microphone for that long.

I see the problem both with Skype and audacity. I've tried the 4 possibilities under System Settoings/Multimedia/Phonon/Audio Capture/Communication, all of which have a hardware type of HDA Intel, VT 1708S Analog. None work.
    Last edited by pwabrahams; March 3rd, 2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro

my advice would be starting a new thread to get more attention.

include the information you provided in this thread.

but before you do that, run alsamixer in terminal, check your levels there.

you hwinfo states you have working modules, i have a gut feeling running alsa in terminal will reveal something.

edit< stretch the terminal window for all slider controls.

Beans

Can I record ( then mix) both mic and speaker in the mean time with pavucontrol
    Last edited by huynhhuuhieu; January 12th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Old thread closed.

Feel free to start a fresh one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123