Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote desktop idea

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Remote desktop idea

hey guys, am moving to college hostel next year and am wondering what ill do with my gaming desktop. And an idea struck me when I heard of remote desktop.

If I kept the desktop in my dorm room and I get, say a small cheap netbook or laptop and run something like VNC through the local network, would I be able to use the full power of the desktop (not gaming, but all the applications) at full speed? (even though the laptop will have a rubbish processor/ graphics card etc)

EDIT: I'm not sure this is in the right forum, @mods; feel free to move it if you feel so.
    Last edited by josepaul; January 13th, 2011 at 09:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: Remote desktop idea

yes - lots of threads on this

rdesktop
    x11vnc
    teamviewer
    nomachine

are all that come to mind

my personal favorite is nomachine since i manage another PC located miles away over an encrypted internet link.
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hello,

As far as i know, yes. Using KFRB is a good way to start. You can also use VNC and use a vnc viewer like vinagre.

While your framerate will be lower (bad for FPS games), it will not effect your processing power and computer speed. KFRB allows you to easily password protect your session, as well as set a time-out. (i.e. after 30 mins. no more connections allowed and current ones closed. Only disadvantage is that it has to be started manual on the machine you want to connect to.

(Note: KRFB is a KDE application.)

i have only done this in debian though,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by davidmohammed View Post
    my personal favorite is nomachine since i manage another PC located miles away over an encrypted internet link.
    That's quite cool, did you experience any lag? and what speed connection did you have?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kn0w-b1nary View Post
    Hello,

As far as i know, yes. Using KFRB is a good way to start. You can also use VNC and use a vnc viewer like vinagre.

While your framerate will be lower (bad for FPS games), it will not effect your processing power and computer speed. KFRB allows you to easily password protect your session, as well as set a time-out. (i.e. after 30 mins. no more connections allowed and current ones closed. Only disadvantage is that it has to be started manual on the machine you want to connect to.

(Note: KRFB is a KDE application.)

i have only done this in debian though,
    I won't be playing any games but will be using some processing intensive software, my question is, apart from the frame rate of what you see, does the laptop's processor do any processing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

nomachine is quite flexible - it can work from modem type speeds (28kbps) through to LAN speeds - at lower speeds the graphical quality and update speed is obviously much slower than running at LAN speed. Since my internet speed is 1.5 meg I run at the "adsl" setting. It is very responsive - you just cant really view any application with frequent screen changes - e.g. a flash video in firefox.
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by josepaul View Post
    I won't be playing any games but will be using some processing intensive software, my question is, apart from the frame rate of what you see, does the laptop's processor do any processing?
    Not noticeably when running VNC or KFRB, and that was on a low-end old dell desktop. I doubt there would be any problems on a higher-end one. You should be able to use those power-hungry programs just fine.

Beans

Remote desktop is a brilliant way to make use of a PC. I am studying at college and have found the college computers quite poor, so I have setup remote desktop to my gaming pc at home and it works a treat

However I am using windows 7 and RDP as i still use the pc when i go home for gaming occasionally.

I have also setup a home web server running ubuntu server 10.10, I have setup remote SSH to that as well.

It is surprisingly easy

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DanHorniblow View Post
    Remote desktop is a brilliant way to make use of a PC. I am studying at college and have found the college computers quite poor, so I have setup remote desktop to my gaming pc at home and it works a treat

However I am using windows 7 and RDP as i still use the pc when i go home for gaming occasionally.

I have also setup a home web server running ubuntu server 10.10, I have setup remote SSH to that as well.

It is surprisingly easy
    Wow, this is exactly what i was looking for. What kinda stuff can you use on it (high processing demand that runs smoothly)? Is there any lag? What internet speed do you use. And do you tell your parents to turn it on/off everyday or just leave it on all the time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i have searched some other threads, but this thread is the most active and closest that i have seen to what i am trying to do. i am trying to do something similar to original thread-
    i have a studio in my house and am trying to connect multiple pcs to a network and enable remote desktop between them. specifically here, i have a laptop that is ubuntu and i want to use it to access and control a cakewalk program on a separate xp desktop pc. i am curious firstly, considering the OS differences and the sort of specific nature of the cakewalk program, is this even possible? i personally am the drummer and i would love to just use a laptop next to my kit to press the "record" button instead of having to get up and walk to the cakewalk-desktop every time i need to do something.
    ideas, suggestions, thoughts, etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast