Thread: Have you seen the music player of my dreams ?

Beans

Have you seen the music player of my dreams ?

Hi all !

I am looking for a good music player for Ubuntu, but I have special requirements ...

I have tried already a few ones (vlc, amarok, exaile, ...), and I couldn't find what I was looking for ...

I have a big music library, and I don't know 90% of the artists (because I got all the music form friends). What I am dreaming of is a music player that would act a little like last.fm... I just import this library, then it plays stuff, I tag them, "like" or "unlike" them, and then, I can just start a radio, and it will play intelligently according to my tags ... And of course I want a veeeeeery simple interface !
    Can someone make my dream come true ?

Beans

Re: Have you seen the music player of my dreams ?

Take a look at Jajuk, I've been using it for years..
    It has so called Ambiences that enable you to bind a set of music-genres and plays it using your collection.. so Ambiences don't work with radio in this case.
    Last edited by kellemes; January 13th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Beans

Looks nice indeed ... But a little complicated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like Quod Libet, very simple to use, lightweight and handles large libraries well. The bonus is the plugin section which includes:
    Audioscrobbler Submission
    Last.fm sync
    These two plugins should perform the same features that last.fm does automatically, then you just need to change playback to random.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Guayadeque has a label function that would allow you to "like or unlike" tracks aswell as scrobbling to lastfm and aton of other features.

http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.p...wiki/page/home

Beans

To find the music player of 'your dreams'! you have to use 3 or 4 and to chose then the best one! try with XMMS, Amarok, or Rhythmbox and tell us! but be careful XMMS and Amarok need good RAM!

Beans

Red face Re: Have you seen the music player of my dreams ?

Wooow !!! I have tried a few of your suggestions, and I am stuned by Guayadeque !!! It is really great, and definitely what I was looking for ! I just imported my library, I clicked on a song, and than it generated a queue with similar songs (based on last.fm data), when last song in the queue is reached more songs are fetched ... + I can tag the songs really easily .... really nice !!!
    Thanks !!!

Beans

I personally have been using Logitech's Squeezebox Server, and then wrote my own playlist generator that looks into the Squeezebox Server's MySQL database, and generates a playlist based on specific conditions (like least-recently-played, or for new/never played music least-recently-added, least-often-played, and random selection), broken down based on category which I tagged all my music with, and the rating I assigned each song. I then am able to stream the music to my computer at work and listen to it at my leisure. I simply am able to go into the Squeezebox Server web interface and change the rating of the song if I like it (5 stars), or never want to hear it again (0 stars), or anywhere in-between (I typically assign an entire album based on what I believe to be how much I may or may not like the album/artist).

However, I'm now slowly beginning the process to convert from Squeezebox Server to Ampache.