Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: memory question

Beans

Re: memory question

Quote Originally Posted by garyhibdon View Post
    im looking for run fast, not just load fast. i do EVERYTHING on this comp and sometimes, the loading becomes a bit of an issue. well, it is to me because i have higher expectations for my computer, this has become the poster child for people i know to kill microsoft. lol its petty, but i need it faster in all aspects.
    Minimal install +xfce4 (or fluxbox, or lxde but personally I dont like lxde) is still the way to go.

Most of the time, unless you are running wayyyyy to many tabs in a brwoser, or doing a lot of multitasking, the CPU will be throttled down, so overclocking wont help as much you might think.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i do a severe amount of multitasking. once upon a time a had a pentium 1 overclocked to 1gig of output. thats basically the idea im shooting for. im known to have 3 and 4 instances of diablo 2 running as well as a music player and a couple of internet tabs open. my mind works too fast for my own good and every time i happen to have a "wild tangent" thought, ill follow it, no matter the work load on whatever im using. basically im working towards the extreme computing world.

EDIT: and yes im aware that its kind of pointless, but its a hobby of mine.

Beans

i do a severe amount of multitasking. once upon a time a had a pentium 1 overclocked to 1gig of output.
    Now, now, no need to move into complete fantasy.

A pentium 1 would be lucky to break 300MHz. IIRC 351Mhz was the reccord with a P1.

Beans
    Distro

ok. never said it worked long. it actually overheated and had a . . "meltdown"

you made me wonder. so i looked. now i feel as dumb as this guy

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=626984

Beans
    Distro

at the moment, according to cpuid-z ive got 3390mhz output, just for reference

Beans

ok. never said it worked long. it actually overheated and had a . . "meltdown"

you made me wonder. so i looked. now i feel as dumb as this guy

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=626984
    Its simply impossible to get a P1 to 1GHz. Ever. They dotn have a high enough multiplier, 3.5 is the max 'from the factory' and even if you found an unlocked P1 its still goignt o be limited to 5.5 on a super socket 7 board. Times that by 100MHz (super socket 7 FSB) you get 550MHz. Its possible that you could find a super socket 7 that does 120MHz FSB, for 660MHz.

at the moment, according to cpuid-z ive got 3390mhz output, just for reference
    Measuring in pure MHz is pointless. You could have a CPU with slower MHz and be faster, quite easily.
    Last edited by cascade9; January 13th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Its simply impossible to get a P1 to 1GHz. Ever. They dotn have a high enough multiplier, 3.5 is the max 'from the factory' and even if you found an unlocked P1 its still goignt o be limited to 5.5 on a super socket 7 board. Times that by 100MHz (super socket 7 FSB) you get 550MHz. Its possible that you could find a super socket 7 that does 120MHz FSB, for 660MHz.
    you didnt read that forum evidently. that was the power output it was reporting. not necessarily the ACTUAL output unless 1000mhz isnt a gig

Beans

you didnt read that forum evidently. that was the power output it was reporting. not necessarily the ACTUAL output unless 1000mhz isnt a gig
    The power output? *blinks* Either you've linked to the wrong forum, or are conused, or both.

I'll stick by what I was saying. Its IMPOSSIBLE to run a p1 at 1GHz. Ever. Even with liquid nitrogen cooling, becuase you simply cant set a socket 7/super socket 7 motherboard that high.

there is a reason why the K6-3s (which were devil overclockers, the best CPU ever realsed in s7/ss7 format) toped out at about 660MHz. Iit wasnt a chip limit, it was a chipset/motherboard limit.

Beans
    Distro

so your telling me that my motherboard is the reason that my duo core will only clock 3.14Ghz?

Beans

so your telling me that my motherboard is the reason that my duo core will only clock 3.14Ghz?
    No, I was saying that you cant possibly have got a P1 to 1GHz. Considering that the link you provided was to a p1 overclocking disuccion, I'm guessing you are confused.

BTW, you could at least be consistent. Above you said "3390mhz" now you are saying "3.14Ghz" (3140MHz). Which is it?
    Last edited by cascade9; January 13th, 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast