Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: memory question

Beans

Re: memory question

I've heard/read bad things about PAE, including a diatribe from Linus Torvalds. If they're right, then fortunately enough I haven't ever had to use it.

Yes, 32 bit systems are limited to 4G unless they have some scheme for accessing more, such as PAE.

I'm running 12G on a 64-bit system. If I don't have any VMs running then I don't often get above 4G used. I have managed to run out of 6G, just barely. I used it as an excuse to double it, but the thing is I was using all sorts of tmpfs so part of that was the tmpfs. 64-bit systems are supposedly more memory hungry than a 32 bit system.

If you use a large database under heavy load, or virtual machines, or some other service that takes huge memory, then you can run out of 4G. You would have had to install whatever it is deliberately, I don't know of anything installed on a generic system that does that without you knowing about it.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ok i guess heres what it boils down to. my comp has an asus p5kpl-am epu mother board and a pentium duo core runnin 3.1 Ghz per @ 1.99 gigs of ram. i used to over clock computers to WAY over their "max capacity" and thats the goal for this comp. its the reason i picked the components it has in it. the issues im having are ram, and the ability to overclock it any further ( im assuming theres some software to do so further, but thus far ive found nothing). im shooting to have a computer pushing ATLEAST 6 Ghz w/ max ram but its turning out to be quite a load of work, considering this computer started with windows XP, especially considering XP couldnt control half of my components to their fullest capabilities.

as an after thought, what exactly is PAE and what are its uses/designations?
    Last edited by garyhibdon; January 13th, 2011 at 09:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    I'm running 12G on a 64-bit system. If I don't have any VMs running then I don't often get above 4G used. I have managed to run out of 6G, just barely. I used it as an excuse to double it, but the thing is I was using all sorts of tmpfs so part of that was the tmpfs. 64-bit systems are supposedly more memory hungry than a 32 bit system.
    Well, I'm running Lucid 10.04 on an AMD 64 3200+ processor with 1 GB of RAM. Of course, I'm running BOINC, processing Seti@Home work units, my browser, and Rhythmbox (playing Coast To Coast AM). According to System Monitor, I'm running 100% processor, with just under 60% of RAM used, and around 50.1 MB of swap space used. Doesn't seem to be too memory hungry to me.

...the issues im having are ram, and the ability to overclock it any further...
    I don't think this issue has to do with quantity of RAM...I think your issue is with quality of RAM (or cooling...or your processor/front end's ability to handle that level of over-clocking). Generally, the problems start when you approach or exceed the limit of your specific hardware's limit of capability, not the "amount of hardware" you have. No OS or software will magically adjust that limit.
    73 from Glenn - KG5UC "Mungo just pawn in game of Life"
    Bump Thread Post #39000 - How To Partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by garyhibdon View Post

as an after thought, what exactly is PAE and what are its uses/designations?
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ress_Extension

Search for pae kernel in the repositories.

Beans
    Distro

i dont think i explained myself that well. im wanting to overclock it, the core temp is still very low, and its running smoothly, so i have no real issues. i just was trying to find out the maximum ram that 10.10 32bit would utilize so that i could max it out. and then im going to continue my search to overclock the cpu further. its a playtoy. no real use for doing this, im doing it just because i can and i want to. im well read on the procedures as far as the bios and hardware are concerned, so thats not an issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Going at it from another direction.....
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594694

perhaps faster with less stress on hardware..??

Beans
    Distro

Thank you!!!!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    Going at it from another direction.....
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594694

perhaps faster with less stress on hardware..??

definetly a different approach to the task, but not exactly what im shooting for, though i appreciate the effort. im shooting for numbers i can see, and the initial times required to load the os into the ram doesnt really seem to equal out with the speed you "gain"

Beans

i have an asus P5KPL-am epu and it SUPPOSEDLY supports 8 gigs. thats why i was wondering. the price difference between 4 gigs and 8 gigs is like $100 so yeah
    Thats got a max RAM of 4GB, thats chipset limit (g31 chipset)

Quote Originally Posted by -kg- View Post
    If you can afford it and want it, go for it...you'll either find a use for it, or might need it in the future. Same goes with processor cores. Currently there is very little software that uses multiple cores to maximum effect, but I use one of them....BOINC distributed computing projects. BOINC will use every processor core available...if you have a quad core processor, it will process 4 work units simultaneously.
    There is point after which it becomes easier, cheaper (and faster!) to get a 'reasonable' amount of RAM for the time, and if you need more upgrade later.

i dont think i explained myself that well. im wanting to overclock it, the core temp is still very low, and its running smoothly, so i have no real issues. i just was trying to find out the maximum ram that 10.10 32bit would utilize so that i could max it out. and then im going to continue my search to overclock the cpu further. its a playtoy. no real use for doing this, im doing it just because i can and i want to. im well read on the procedures as far as the bios and hardware are concerned, so thats not an issue.
    RAM either has '0' effect on overclocking, or it actually HURTS your max overclock. Not that you have to worry about that, you've only got 2 RAM slots...

definetly a different approach to the task, but not exactly what im shooting for, though i appreciate the effort. im shooting for numbers i can see, and the initial times required to load the os into the ram doesnt really seem to equal out with the speed you "gain"
    Want to load fast? Minimal install, then xfce4 or lxde. No unneeded junk. That is going to help your boottimes more than overclocking will.

A faster HDD (or better yet a SSD) makes more difference to boot times than overclocking as well.

Beans
    Distro

im looking for run fast, not just load fast. i do EVERYTHING on this comp and sometimes, the loading becomes a bit of an issue. well, it is to me because i have higher expectations for my computer, this has become the poster child for people i know to kill microsoft. lol its petty, but i need it faster in all aspects.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast