Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: memory question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

memory question

not sure exactly where to put this posting at, so i thought id try here.

how much memory can ubuntu 10.10 support? i know windows XP would only support 3.8gigs.

any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: memory question

32 or 64 bit system?
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro

32 bit. sorry, thought i had put that in there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would have thought it would be the machine not the release...am I wrong?

Or maybe each has it's limits and you go by whichever one comes first...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

32 bit OSs can't see more then 4GB, but then, some of the memory addresses are reserved, so that you get 4-the reserved amount. How much is reserved depends on the machine.

Beans
    Distro

i have an asus P5KPL-am epu and it SUPPOSEDLY supports 8 gigs. thats why i was wondering. the price difference between 4 gigs and 8 gigs is like $100 so yeah

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    32 bit OSs can't see more then 4GB, but then, some of the memory addresses are reserved, so that you get 4-the reserved amount. How much is reserved depends on the machine.
    how about enabling PAE?

Beans

Better question- why do you want 8GB? For most people its pointless.......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Edgell View Post
    I would have thought it would be the machine not the release...am I wrong?

Or maybe each has it's limits and you go by whichever one comes first...
    Yes, both have limits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by garyhibdon View Post
    i have an asus P5KPL-am epu and it SUPPOSEDLY supports 8 gigs. thats why i was wondering. the price difference between 4 gigs and 8 gigs is like $100 so yeah
    Unless you're doing something really hardcore you're unlikely to see any performance improvement between 4GB and 8GB, so i'd pocket the difference if I was you.

I have 4GB, and never use most of it except when I run fat VMs. Ubuntu will run quite happily on 1GB.
    Last edited by Paqman; January 13th, 2011 at 07:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Really quite entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Unless you're doing something really hardcore you're unlikely to see any performance improvement between 4GB and 8GB, so i'd pocket the difference if I was you.
    Until when? I remember years ago I had a computer that had around 38 GB of hard drive space in 3 hard drives. People told me I was crazy to have that much hard drive space...what was I going to use that space for? Now..."You only have 38 GB of HD space? How can you do anything with that? You need more!"

Same with memory. I have a laptop that I bought in 2000 with WinME installed. When I upgraded to XP, I had to increase the memory in it to the max in order to run XP with any semblance of speed. Max memory? 364 MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I have 4GB, and never use most of it except when I run fat VMs. Ubuntu will run quite happily on 1GB.
    How much longer will 1 GB run efficiently? 4 GB? 8 GB? I don't know, and neither does anyone else. My little laptop is still running...I have Ubuntu 10.04 running on it, and with 364 MB it just barely runs. It may be that Ubuntu 20.04 will just barely run on 1 GB of RAM.

If you can afford it and want it, go for it...you'll either find a use for it, or might need it in the future. Same goes with processor cores. Currently there is very little software that uses multiple cores to maximum effect, but I use one of them....BOINC distributed computing projects. BOINC will use every processor core available...if you have a quad core processor, it will process 4 work units simultaneously.

32 bit Ubuntu (and Linux in general, if I'm not mistaken)_will recognize over 4 GB of RAM if you use the PAE enabled kernel. I personally use 64-bit Ubuntu, even though I don't have over 2 GB of RAM on any of my computers. If they have a 64-bit processor, I have the 64-bit OS installed. I haven't had any major problems with the 64-bit kernels for several releases now.
    73 from Glenn - KG5UC "Mungo just pawn in game of Life"
    Bump Thread Post #39000 - How To Partition

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast