Thread: black screen on wake up for acer 5535

Beans

black screen on wake up for acer 5535

Hello Ubuntu community.
    I have an acer aspire 5535. when it goes into suspension and after i try to wake up , it doesn't seem to show signs of life ( black screen)..
    I did a search and found many other cases similar to mine, but none of the solutions / workarounds are compatible with my problem
    (I tried to kill the xserver, change the screen mode with FN + F4, type the user password and press enter ..but nothing... the problem is that as soon as i press a button to wake up, it seems to read the harddisk for 2 seconds and then it doesn't responds to anything except forced poweroff, pressing power button for 3 secs)

Beans

Re: black screen on wake up for acer 5535

I've been having the same problem for a while. That also happens on another Ubuntu-based distro. I read extensively the forum, looking for clues of what might have been happening, but I haven't found anything.

Some people suggested alternative methods such as 'hibernate' and 'uswsusp', none of them worked. Some changes on grub didn't do a thing either.
    All I get after waking up is a blank screen, I can't toggle function keys like Caps Lock and if I press Fn + F4 it just gives a loud beep and doesn't do a thing.

I'd be happy to help with logs, but I think enough logs have been spread around the forum. Something I heard might work was updating the kernel to 2.6.36, but I'm not confident I can do such thing without ****ing up a few times first.

Oh, and I use the same laptop. Acer Aspire 5535. I guess specifically it's 5535-50, since it's the model without Bluetooth. It probably makes no difference, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same notebook, and same problem here Guess we have to wait for 11.04 release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, I'm back on ubuntu 10.04 I still have this problem with suspend/hibernate on this acer I was wondering if it is possible to port something from fedora and openSuse to make this suspend/hibernate work ?

As this guy says that something works, something does not :
    Code:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/laptop/457171-acer-aspire-5535-standby-issues.html
    standby works on fedora 14 but hibernation does not and hibernation works on opensuse but standby does not

Beans

I regret to bump an old post guys, but i still have this problem with acer 5535 laptop...but now i really need the suspension feature because i'm using it for the university

i've noticed there was also a bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/948573

but it expired for inactivity..

so, is it possible that the only way to get ubuntu suspension/ibernation is to change the laptop itself?

isn't there a fix/workaround solution?