Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nautilus>Edit Preferences>Media options issue

Beans

Re: Nautilus>Edit Preferences>Media options issue

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    you could try opening ~/.local/share and deleting or renaming the applications folder. Then do a restart and see
    Okay, here's what I did.
    1. I renamed the Applications folder as you suggested.
    2. I restarted the system. When I checked the ~/.local/share directory, I had no Applications folder.
    3. I opened Nautilus>Edit>Preferences>Media and, lo and behold, all the options were available.
    4. I chose the appropriate applications for each (CD Audio, DVD Video, Music Player, Photos, Software, and some of the other Media) and closed the Preferences dialog.
    5. I then checked ~/.local/share and an Applications folder had been created with a new mimeapps.list file that only contained the x-content lines, and they were all correct.
    6. I renamed the mimeapps.list file in the old Applications folder.
    7. I copied the new mimeapps.list file to the old Applications folder.
    8. I renamed the the new Applications folder and renamed the old Applications folder back to Applications.
    9. I restarted the system.
    10. I checked the Applications menu and my old menus and items where all present.
    11. I opened Nautilus>Edit>Preferences>Media and every option was as I had set it in step 4 above except Music Player which was grayed out with the message "No applications found".
    12. I opened the mimeapps.list file and all the x-content lines were there and were correct.

So I have all of my options back except Music Player. The odd thing is, if I choose "Open with other Application" in any of the other options such as CD Audio, my players all show as available to choose. Rhythmbox, Exaile, Quod Libet, VLC, etc. are all there.

So where is the system indicating that there are no apps for Music Player?

Beans

I'm not sure about the music player deal - the default on an install would be rhythmbox I believe.
    What had you set it to Before copying back.

(there would be no real need to restore back the 'old' applications folder, you could simplt re-create any userapp.desktops if needed from the r. click context menu

Beans

I'm not sure about the music player deal - the default on an install would be rhythmbox I believe.

(there would be no real need to restore back the 'old' applications folder, you could simplt re-create any userapp.desktops if needed from the r. click context menu

(this may end up as a d. post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

I had it set to Rhythmbox.

By right click, do you mean on the Applications menu and then add? This is the same as System>Preferences>Main Menu.

Beans

By right click, do you mean on the Applications menu
    No, I was actually thinking more of any file associations like a r. click on a flac - open with - other application - use a custom command (I saw you had some originally

For the FM > Media ,you can use the dropdown below the listed choices to add new ones or again proceed to 'use a custom command' from there.

Edit. in other words there is no reason to keep the old applications folder, - it for some reason you'd want to then try opening it up and delete any .desktop with rhythmbox in the name.
    Last edited by mc4man; January 16th, 2011 at 04:37 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cscj01 View Post
    Okay, here's what I did.
    1. I renamed the Applications folder as you suggested.
    2. I restarted the system. When I checked the ~/.local/share directory, I had no Applications folder.
    3. I opened Nautilus>Edit>Preferences>Media and, lo and behold, all the options were available.
    4. I chose the appropriate applications for each (CD Audio, DVD Video, Music Player, Photos, Software, and some of the other Media) and closed the Preferences dialog.
    5. I then checked ~/.local/share and an Applications folder had been created with a new mimeapps.list file that only contained the x-content lines, and they were all correct.
    6. I renamed the mimeapps.list file in the old Applications folder.
    7. I copied the new mimeapps.list file to the old Applications folder.
    8. I renamed the the new Applications folder and renamed the old Applications folder back to Applications.
    9. I restarted the system.
    10. I checked the Applications menu and my old menus and items where all present.
    11. I opened Nautilus>Edit>Preferences>Media and every option was as I had set it in step 4 above except Music Player which was grayed out with the message "No applications found".
    12. I opened the mimeapps.list file and all the x-content lines were there and were correct.

So I have all of my options back except Music Player. The odd thing is, if I choose "Open with other Application" in any of the other options such as CD Audio, my players all show as available to choose. Rhythmbox, Exaile, Quod Libet, VLC, etc. are all there.

So where is the system indicating that there are no apps for Music Player?
    Thank you a lot for sharing your experience. I was plagued by the same problem after re-arranging my menu items with "alacarte" ...

I removed all the recently added .desktop files from the ~/application folder and sure enough the problem went away. I could then add the one that had no possible effect on the problem (the applications that cannot possibly get started by inserting a CD/DVD/music player). Only eight remained "banned", all of them were not needed...

THANK YOU all for helping solve this issue. This is March 2013 and yes I am still using Ubuntu 10.04 and I love it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12