Thread: Is Linux killing my hard disk drives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is Linux killing my hard disk drives?

I've had two different laptop hdd's fail on me last year within a few weeks of installing ubuntu. Two different machines and both were brand new. My wife forbids me from installing again and I'm stuck with running off of a pendrive. One was Acer and one was Asus, both were fairly low-priced models.

Do I have bad luck or is Linux killing my disks? I remember some years back about a bug in the kernel that had to do with stopping the drives.

Beans

Re: Is Linux killing my hard disk drives?

I can't say for sure its not Ubuntu, however I very much doubt it is. I have been running Ubuntu for 5ish years and never had a hard drive die. Not on a Laptop, Desktop, etc.

That being said Hard drives do tend to go, and many manufactures have had bad shipments of HDDs. I am betting it was just bad luck.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Is Linux killing my hard disk drives?

I have had to replace 6 drives since I upgraded. all were seagate 1 tb and 2 tb drives. I thought it was part of the seagate problem. They have had noisy drives (clacking and failing) It was not that it just made it harder to figure out. I have a dual boot system with sata drives. My windows drive failed and I thought that was the fact that it was seagate however It has been replaced and working fine. I finally got mad at seagate though and bought 2 new western digital 1 tb drives..they lasted one night. I know it has to be the ubuntu causing this problem. I was last using 10.04.1 64 bit and thought everything was fine.

After having to replace so many drives I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem..and is there a fix that is easy if not im stuck with windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Is Linux killing my hard disk drives?

Closed.

Please start a new thread if you need support.