Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XFCE 4.8 Prerelease

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: XFCE 4.8 Prerelease

I had PCLinux XFCE install in one of my older computer. I wonder I could do an update to 4.8 and see how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Better picture of my updated XFCE 4.8pre3 system:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/120...113112550p.png

I'm liking it so far.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Is it possible to undecorate windows in the latest xfce? I have lubuntu/openbox on my netbook and find that being able to just right click on the window border and select undecorate to free up some vertical space is really useful. When I was looking into lightweight desktops the lack of this in xfce was the main reason I didn't choose it although I preferred some aspects of it compared to lxde.

The other annoyance I found was how difficult it was to make a launcher on a panel. I like to have a small 2nd panel at the top of the screen as a quick launcher but the way of adding launchers in xfce was needlassly time consuming.

Warpnow, that is a lot of ram for a 'lightweight' de with not much running. That has always been xubuntu's problem. They managed to take a lightweight de and add so much of the standard ubuntu bloat to it that it was just as heavy as standard ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Is it possible to undecorate windows in the latest xfce? I have lubuntu/openbox on my netbook and find that being able to just right click on the window border and select undecorate to free up some vertical space is really useful. When I was looking into lightweight desktops the lack of this in xfce was the main reason I didn't choose it although I preferred some aspects of it compared to lxde.
    You can use the Openbox window manager inside Xfce. Just start xfce4-panel and xfdesktop(4?).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Warpnow, that is a lot of ram for a 'lightweight' de with not much running. That has always been xubuntu's problem. They managed to take a lightweight de and add so much of the standard ubuntu bloat to it that it was just as heavy as standard ubuntu.
    Not really Xubuntus problem, XFCE was only the 'lightweight' option when it was the only 'lightweight' DE about. XFCE shines as a modular desktop piece though. The 'take what you want' desktop. Which currently, nobody else really does (or at least well). Gogo XFCE!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    Not really Xubuntus problem, XFCE was only the 'lightweight' option when it was the only 'lightweight' DE about.
    Hm...

Alpine Linux:

Xubuntu gives Xfce a bad name.

(image from kmandla's blog)
    Last edited by Spice Weasel; January 14th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

Beans

Most of the top XFCE alternative distro's are similar in usage to Xubuntu (sabyon, fedora, even Zenwalk and dreamlinux). The blame doesnt lie solely with Xubuntu.

If you want lightweight there's better out there, if you want modular, XFCE all the way.

Beans

Don't forget one of the more 'vanilla' packagings of xfce can be seen with Slackware. I attach a screenshot of xfce 4.6.2 running with Slackware -current. Packages of 4.8 pre 3 are available but sound a little too unstable for my tastes .

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12