Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to go from 10.10 to 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is it possible to go from 10.10 to 10.04?

"broken packages"? you should go to synaptic package manager, and click edit>fix broken packages. That should work if you have any!

hansolo4949

P.S. there is a way to do it from the terminal, but the exact code has eluded me at this moment
    I am mainly active on XDA-Devs as hanthesolo, but I may come here every so often to contribute. I develop for the Galaxy Player 4.0 with my self-founded team TeamSuperNova.

I am always trying to learn, as I acknowledge that I am not omniscient.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

With the amount of features Ubuntu and Canonical are trying to push into the new releases, they're not setting aside enough time to fix bugs left over. 10.04 was that way from 9.10, and 10.10 is that way from 10.04. The LTS will get updates and bug fixes, so for now I recommend moving back to 10.04.

However, this way you won't be able to get any new hardware support from the newer kernels, or upgrades if you use any proprietary drivers. If you'd like to have the newer releases, plus have much fewer bugs because the developers take the time to work on it after new versions of Ubuntu come out, you should try Linux Mint. There's a reason it climbed to second place on Distrowatch last year and is still rising...

EDIT: The next LTS will be 12.04
    Team Ignition Kernel Developer | Firestorm ROM Thunderbolt Manager
    linux-ideapad developer/maintainer for Arch Linux/Ubuntu Linux
    NT-Sparkkernel Developer for the Nook Tablet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by hansolo4949 View Post
    "broken packages"? you should go to synaptic package manager, and click edit>fix broken packages. That should work if you have any!

hansolo4949

P.S. there is a way to do it from the terminal, but the exact code has eluded me at this moment
    Thanks, I'll try that now. Hopefully it'll work, I'll update this thread and mark it 'unsolved' for now.

Quote Originally Posted by admiralspark View Post
    With the amount of features Ubuntu and Canonical are trying to push into the new releases, they're not setting aside enough time to fix bugs left over. 10.04 was that way from 9.10, and 10.10 is that way from 10.04. The LTS will get updates and bug fixes, so for now I recommend moving back to 10.04.

However, this way you won't be able to get any new hardware support from the newer kernels, or upgrades if you use any proprietary drivers. If you'd like to have the newer releases, plus have much fewer bugs because the developers take the time to work on it after new versions of Ubuntu come out, you should try Linux Mint. There's a reason it climbed to second place on Distrowatch last year and is still rising...

EDIT: The next LTS will be 12.04
    I've heard lots of good things about Mint but I haven't taken the time to get a LiveCD and try it yet. Perhaps I should?
    I consider myself to be quite an 'experienced noob' when it comes to Ubuntu, although I've been using it on and off since 8.10 I have never really learnt all the commands and come running for help whenever I have a problem
    The change from 9.04 to 9.10 was slightly buggy and I ended up installing 9.10 fresh. Upgrading to 10.04 was smooth however and although I saw many complaints on here, I can't say it caused me any problems...
    Last edited by lsk3993; January 11th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, well all of a sudden my internet is working which is good. 'Fix Broken Packages' didn't seem to do anything from Synaptic so I tried using
    sudo apt-get install -f
    I got:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Docky and Nautilus Elementary if I can figure out how and see if that helps...

Beans

Mint is my alternate distro, but I far prefer Ubuntu.

20/20 hindsight: ALWAYS make a restorable system backup before updating/upgrading. A Remastersys backup will let you re-install Ubuntu as it was before the upgrade.

I have been told that a clean install will (generally)have fewer problems than an update. If you install Ubuntu so that your data resides in a separate partition from the OS, you will only have to re-do your OS customizations.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    Mint is my alternate distro, but I far prefer Ubuntu.

20/20 hindsight: ALWAYS make a restorable system backup before updating/upgrading. A Remastersys backup will let you re-install Ubuntu as it was before the upgrade.

I have been told that a clean install will (generally)have fewer problems than an update. If you install Ubuntu so that your data resides in a separate partition from the OS, you will only have to re-do your OS customizations.
    Remastersys seems to be what I should have used! It's ok though since I dual-boot I have all my documents on a separate partition so hopefully I can do a clean install without too much trouble

Beans

You are not alone; I didn't "discover" Remastersys until after a 9.04 --> 9.10 upgrade gone wrong. Never again.

Beans
    Distro

Uninstalling and reinstalling Docky didn't seem to help unfortunately.... since it's looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to do a clean install could I try out Gnome shell before? I remember there was a command for trying it out temporarily but I can't seem to find it anymore. I installed the packages from Synaptic, is that the right way to do it?

EDIT: I used
    gnome-shell --replace
    and although it worked, it was really laggy and unusable so nevermind
    Last edited by lsk3993; January 11th, 2011 at 11:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

On the plus side, it seems screencasting works a lot better than it did in 10.04, I made a very low quality recording just so you can see the problem I'm having with Docky. If it helps I can upload a higher quality version but it shouldn't make a difference, it shows the problem I was talking about before.
    To be honest, if I can fix the Docky problem and the Naultilus problem I think I can live with that
    (for some reason the breadcrumbs haven't rendered properly since upgrading)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

It looks like I might end up sticking with 10.10 to be honest, I've solved the Docky problem by just using Cairo Dock with I think seems better anyway and I 'fixed' the breadcrumbs by just commenting out a line in .gtkrc-2.0
    gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=16,16:gtk-button=16,16"

style "menu-item"
    {
    ythickness = 3
    }

#include ".themes/nautilus/nautilus.rc"
    It now looks like this:

I haven't properly fixed anything I know but I'm going to stick with it until I run into any more problems

Marking thread as solved again...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12