Thread: Ok microphone for Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Ok microphone for Ubuntu...

I'm looking into getting an ok microphone for guitar, song and speech, to use with Ubuntu. It's for hobby use, so I don't need the best microphone, just something that is good and will work in Ubuntu. Any recommendations?

Should I get an USB one, or just a normal one and use my built in sound card?

Beans

Re: Ok microphone for Ubuntu...

Not sure about USB mics but if you use one through your normal sound card then any one should be fine subject to the following:

- Make sure the jack is the right size - standard performance mics have large male jack connectors and your soundcard will likely only have small jack inputs (you could always get a reducer).

- Dont get a mic that requires phantom power as your card wont be able to supply it.

At one time I was using a singstar PS2 mic plugged into my soundcard and it worked fine (not exactly professional but ok for playing around with). If you wont something a bit more useful for if you want to go a bit more serious later than you cant go wrong with a Shure SM58 or SM57 - very versatile and a good quality for home use.

Hope that helps.