Thread: Crash as soon as the pendrive is inserted

Beans

Crash as soon as the pendrive is inserted

Hi everybody,

this is my first post here, I hope not to do too many mistakes.
    My problem is that as soon as I insert my pendrive (Kingston Data Traveler 101 G2), the system completely locks up and I'm unable even to move the cursor, so that the only solution is to shut down the laptop (Dell XPS 15).
    Initially I thought that the problem could be related to a script that allowed to mount iso images simply right clicking on them and choosing on the menu the appropriate voice, therefore I removed it; but the problem still persists.
    Do you have any suggestions? Please do ask me questions, I'm a totally newbie to linux systems.

Mattia

Beans

Re: Crash as soon as the pendrive is inserted

Can you boot and operate with the pendrive inserted from cold?

If that doesnt work, the only thing I can suggest is this, honestly its not a perfect solution but this is the best I can suggest:

open a terminal and type in:
    Code:
    gedit /var/log/kern.log
    go down to the bottom and note whats the last thing there.

plug your drive in a let your system lock up.

As soon as it does hold:

Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+SysReq
    and type in the word

Code:
    reisub
    That should turn your machine off in the safest possible way. Then take your drive out and boot your machine back up. Go back to that original file and see if those logs provide anything useful. (or post them here hopefully one of us can pick up whats going on)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mp87 View Post
    Hi everybody,

this is my first post here, I hope not to do too many mistakes.
    My problem is that as soon as I insert my pendrive (Kingston Data Traveler 101 G2), the system completely locks up and I'm unable even to move the cursor, so that the only solution is to shut down the laptop (Dell XPS 15).
    Initially I thought that the problem could be related to a script that allowed to mount iso images simply right clicking on them and choosing on the menu the appropriate voice, therefore I removed it; but the problem still persists.
    Do you have any suggestions? Please do ask me questions, I'm a totally newbie to linux systems.

Mattia
    I'd check out the pen drive first thing. Does it work in another computer?
    Give me a stable operating system, and I will make it unstable

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soapytheclown View Post
    Can you boot and operate with the pendrive inserted from cold?
    Unfortunately not. It seems like the system is trying to load the pendrive, but is unable to do it. I think that because two days ago I inserted the pendrive and the system recognized it, without crashing. Then I removed and reinserted it, but Ubuntu locked up.

I cannot even follow your procedure, since now I cannot access normally to Ubuntu (just the recovery mode works)

Quote Originally Posted by corncob View Post
    I'd check out the pen drive first thing. Does it work in another computer?
    Well, I tried it on different computers with Windows XP and it always worked properly. Up until few days ago it worked finely also with my Ubuntu.