Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    This program only affects Grub and the boot sequence. (Well, you could argue that it can add kernel parameters that will influence how the OS runs.)

The graphic images are only for the initial boot screen - what you see behind the menu entries on the Grub screen. Grub runs before any OS is loaded; plymouth is loaded and comes into play only after Grub passes control over to the kernel/OS. Splash images you see later on in the boot process aren't controlled by Grub.
    That's great. Thanks for breaking it down for me.

Beans

Hey everybody..!

So made the jump and got 11.04 ubuntu.. I've created a dual boot for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Wow what a jump!!

Anyways.. all seems okay, i've installed UBUNTU okay updated everything, figured out a little about terminal and just learning how to use synaptic manager..

I'd love to change the GRUB screen to something prettier than the horrible purpley pink thingy,,

I have tried GRUB customizer and downloaded at 1280 x 1024 pic and placed it in the root grub, i've as well changed the colour and the file names to what it reads..

When i restart, the file names have changed but its still the horrible pinky colour like nothing has happened. The background pic is also not there

I'm going despair over it.. i've tried everything, i've read forum posts but its all rather complicated..

Please can somebody help me.. i admit i'm a complete newbie so may need help explained to me in plain easy to understand english please..

Many thanks for taking the time to read this

Dan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dan1981football View Post
    I'd love to change the GRUB screen to something prettier than the horrible purpley pink thingy,,

I have tried GRUB customizer and downloaded at 1280 x 1024 pic and placed it in the root grub, i've as well changed the colour and the file names to what it reads..Dan
    Dan,

First, let's be sure we are talking about the same screen. The Grub Customizer & Grub only change the background of the screen with the menu entries (kernels, Windows, etc). There is another screen later as the system boots that is not controlled by Grub...

If you will post the contents of /boot/grub/grub.cfg we can take a look at what Grub2 is trying to do.

If you also attach a copy of the image you are trying to use we can make sure it is compatible. Or you can try this test image. Place it in /boot/grub and run 'sudo update-grub'. (Sorry that it is purple too. ).

Added:
    I wrote guide about using background images in Natty. Here is the link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739412
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png a.png (9.2 KB, 24 views)
    Last edited by drs305; May 11th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Hello.. thankyou so much for replying..!

Okies i have placed the picture you provided in my grub folder, i updated the grub using that terminal command thingy and reset my computer whilst crossing my fingers..

Unfortunately still the horrible sickly purpley colour thing with my 2 options of either booting Linux or Win 7

Here is my CFG
    Code:
    #
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"
    if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      insmod vbe
      insmod vga
      insmod video_bochs
      insmod video_cirrus
    }

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 34a7812d-73f1-4c85-8999-c9ae5cb210c6
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
    set gfxmode=1280x1024
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en_GB
    insmod gettext
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    insmod jpeg
    if background_image /boot/grub/family_guy.jpg; then
      true
    else
      set menu_color_normal=white/black
      set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
      if background_color 44,0,30; then
        clear
      fi
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux_proxy ###
    menuentry "Ubuntu Linux 11.04" --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic-pae root=UUID=34a7812d-73f1-4c85-8999-c9ae5cb210c6 ro  vga=775 splash  quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic-pae
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux_proxy ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober_proxy ###
    menuentry "Windows 7" --class windows --class os {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ntfs
    	set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
    	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root CEDE3F73DE3F52C7
    	chainloader +1
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober_proxy ###
    Last edited by drs305; May 11th, 2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: 'Code' tags added. Paste content between tags. Generate tags with # icon during posting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello.. thankyou so much for replying..!

Okies i have placed the picture you provided in my grub folder, i updated the grub using that terminal command thingy and reset my computer whilst crossing my fingers..

Unfortunately still the horrible sickly purpley colour thing with my 2 options of either booting Linux or Win 7
    I've looked at the grub.cfg contents. The things I check are that the path and file appear, and that the 'menu_color_normal' has a second setting of 'black', which is the 'transparency setting. Both of these are in the
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ### section.

Things look correct for your image.

I took a shortcut in the explanation in the previous post since I didn't know the name of your image. When G2 sets the image found in /boot/grub, if it finds more than one it uses a set order to pick the image. I didn't explain this and hoped your's would be a .png. It wasn't, and since .jpg are used before .png images, your family_guy image is still in the grub.cfg file.

Move the family_guy.jpg out of /boot/grub, rerun 'sudo update-grub' and then check grub.cfg to make sure it list's a.png (or watch the terminal output when you update-grub - it will show the image being used).

If my attachment works, there is probably a problem with your image. The easiest way to fix it is to change it to a .png image with gimp or another graphics app. If you do this, after confirming my image worked, remove a.png since Grub will use a.png before family_guy.png.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

IT WORKS!!!

Wow i cant believe it.. finally

Basically i deleted the family guy picture and put your one in there.. i then went update grub and restart..

Initially i thought nothing changed but then i noticed the blob on the bottom left hand corner!!

Hooray..

I then installed the default splash grub2 images and placed them in the grub boot folder.

Using grub customizer i selected which one i wanted, saved it.. updated grub again then rest..

VOILA.. i now have a pretty mountain to look at

Thankyou so much for taking the time to help me.. I am definetly going to get my head around Linux one day..

Just another quick question..

Is there anyway to make the font bigger in Grub?

Also,if i want to use my own picture as a Grub background what does it have to be?

Many thanks once again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

IT WORKS!!!

I then installed the default splash grub2 images and placed them in the grub boot folder.

Using grub customizer i selected which one i wanted, saved it.. updated grub again then rest..
    You might want to refer to the link at the end of Post #103. It details exactly how the image is selected in Grub 1.99 (Natty). The only reason I mention it is that Grub has a specific order it uses. GC uses the first option but I think it also employs a slightly different terminology.

Is there anyway to make the font bigger in Grub?
    In GC, it's under Preferences, Appearance. Custom Resoltuion.

Also,if i want to use my own picture as a Grub background what does it have to be?
    See the link.

Update:
    I notice that my GC doesn't show the different custom resolutions available. You can find out which ones Grub can use on your machine by typing "vbeinfo" at the grub prompt (press 'c' to get to the prompt, then ESC back to the menu).
    If you want to set the resolutions manually, you can edit /etc/default/grub and modify this line (and remove the #):
    GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
    In Natty, the system defaults to the highest resolution so you might want to try 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768, depending on what your system supports. It should adjust the image size based on the resolution you select. The smaller the numbers, the larger the text. Don't forget to update-grub after making the changes.
    Last edited by drs305; May 11th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: Natty: GRUB Splash Screens

drs305 Thank you for the additional information:

I've made a few attempts with GRUB Customizer and I have the following comments:

* While GC allows me to select a splash-image; I must delete the image from /boot/grub before I can use another one. Just selecting a different splash-image in GC doesn't work.

* Also, GC does not allow me to change the text color. The text and highlight color defaults to light gray. I haven't been able to change this, no matter what I've tried.

* The bottom of some of my images are getting cut off; however the images with this problem have text near the bottom and were not designed as splash-images. Thery're just images I like that I got from the web.

Is there some other setting that I've failed to change; or will I need to change text/highlight colors with the command line???

Also, I've noticed that the PPA is from 2007. Does this mean that the app is 'not' being maintained???

Thanks, Hannibal

Staff Note: This post was moved over from the following thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1755799
    Last edited by drs305; May 12th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu Quantum 31.10.03 & Windows 10000 on Dell Inspiron 55200 Infinite-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill XIV!'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: Natty: GRUB Splash Screens

More Information/Mas Informacion/Mehr Data

Well,

I've had no end of trouble with GRUB Customizer. I've even run it from the command line with root permissions; but it 'still' won't change the font or highlight colors under Natty. This is either because it cannot find the correct file to modify, or it does not have the correct permissions. It certainly looks like it doesn't have the correct permissions; as this behavior was noted by someone commenting on his site, prior to the release of Natty. However, it appears to me that under Natty; GC can not locate the correct file to modify either. This may be due to the changes in GRUB between GRUB 1.98 & 1.99; so IMHO both issues are currently present under Natty.

Conclusion:

This program needs some serious patches to work under Natty. There are two approaches to this. Two versions of this app can be released; one to work on apriori GRUB 1.99 distos, and another to work on aposteriori GRUB 1.99 distros. The second & cleaner approach would be to add a few lines of code to check for the GRUB version, and then execute the appropriate application code for the appropriate version of GRUB. The latter approach would initially be more difficult to code; but ultimately much easier to maintain. Also, since the utility of having this program run in a GUI is to relieve the operator of repetitive and often arcane command line tasks; this app defeats itself in this regard. To be a useful app for the average user, the above mentioned issues need to be resolved and the app needs to ask for root permissions when launched or run natively with them. Also, to be added to Ubuntu System Settings, as previously suggested, the skins would have to be changed to match the skins present in the parent application. This means that some of the UI coding would have to be done by our own development staff; and that means adopting this orphan. However IMO the potential usefulness of this app justifies this.

In Summary:

A potentially very useful app, which needs a lot of TLC.

In the meantime, I 'cannot' recommend this app for anyone running Natty/GRUB => 1.99.

Hannibal

P.S., does anyone know how to get the source for this app?
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu Quantum 31.10.03 & Windows 10000 on Dell Inspiron 55200 Infinite-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill XIV!'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Natty: GRUB Splash Screens

Quote Originally Posted by coljohnhannibalsmith View Post
    drs305 Thank you for the additional information:

While GC allows me to select a splash-image; I must delete the image from /boot/grub before I can use another one. Just selecting a different splash-image in GC doesn't work.
    Added: Grub Customizer's developer, Daniel Richter, responds in Post #118, on how to use background images with Grub 1.99.

I was afraid of that. The priority for Grub 1.99 using background images is the following (more detail in Post #1):
    • GRUB_BACKGROUND=</path/filename> setting in /etc/default/grub
    • First image found in /boot/grub
    • Wallpaper designated in /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_backgorund.sh (if desktop-base installed)
    • /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png (if desktop-base is installed)
    • Default theme (no image): Aubergine background, selected item black on light gray background)

Unfortunately, Grub Customizer uses it's own designation in /etc/default/grub:
    GRUB_MENU_PICTURE
    Since it is not in the format "GRUB_BACKGROUND", G2 apparently continues to the second priority (in Grub 1.99), finding a file in /boot/grub. It appears that the way GC inputs the background image information results in a lower priority than images still residing in /boot/grub.

You can 1) remove the images in /boot/grub or 2) remove the image from the GC page and then manually edit /etc/default/grub and use the "GRUB_BACKROUND=" convention.

* Also, GC does not allow me to change the text color. The text and highlight color defaults to light gray. I haven't been able to change this, no matter what I've tried.
    I just tried this and get a similar result. Apparently this is another Grub 1.99 change that hasn't been incorporated in GC yet.

The workaround is to manually edit /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme and make the changes to the following lines (approx line 32/33),
    echo "${1}set menu_color_normal=white/black"
    echo "${1}set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray"
    or run the following command(s), changing the bold color values from the default. (I'd recommend manually editing so you see the result, but here is the command line version):
    sudo sed "s/set menu_color_normal=white\/black/set menu_color_normal=green\/black/g" -i /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme
    sudo sed "s/set menu_color_highlight=black\/light-gray/set menu_color_normal=yellow\/blue/g" -i /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme
    sudo update-grub
    In either case, you would want to keep 'black' as the second value in the 'menu_normal_color' entry to retain transparency. Don't forget to update grub.

Also, I've noticed that the PPA is from 2007. Does this mean that the app is 'not' being maintained???
    That is just the developer's repository name. He only created Grub Customizer within the past year and continues to update it. Apparently he has not incorporated all changes made by Grub 1.99 at this time.

Staff Note: This post was moved over from the following thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1755799
    Last edited by drs305; May 14th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast