Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Just a quick reply to say that I have surrendered. Nothing has the desired effect. Some setting did cause slight differences in where the black screen began and ended, but that is all. I also tried adding "verbose" at the GRUB menu.

Based on what you (drs305) were saying about GRUB handing over to the kernel, I'm guessing that some particular graphics module is not compiled into this kernel, since GRUB_TERMINAL="console" does work (though it's too large & fast to read).

Thanks for all you help--I do appreciate it very much!
    Last edited by beebelo; August 10th, 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: clarify
    | | | | | | | |
    If they give you lined paper, write sideways.
    Daniel Quinn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm having a few problems.

I tried to change the font to "Ubuntu". Unfortunately, now all the symbols are rendered as ?'s. Is there a default font I should put it on to revert this?

Also, my grub is now displayed with the Debian splash screen as the background. I haven't selected a background, so I'm not sure why. How do I get rid of this?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Pretty sure the "default" font is Sans.

To remove the image goto settings, and hit the X, or just change it to whatever you wish.

and dont forget to save
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    Pretty sure the "default" font is Sans.

To remove the image goto settings, and hit the X, or just change it to whatever you wish.

and dont forget to save
    Switching to Sans took care of the symbol issue. Thanks!

I should have been more clear: I didn't select a background image, and no image is selected in the Preferences dialogue. Therefore, the "X" (which the Ambiance theme renders as a "-") button isn't available. But the Debian background image shows up anyways.

Beans
    Distro

Thats strange.. and i have no anwser for it.
    I know its not really a solution; If you can apply images, and just want like a plain black (or whatever color) image you can find that anywhere and apply.
    Last edited by Jakin; August 14th, 2012 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    I'm having a few problems.
    Also, my grub is now displayed with the Debian splash screen as the background. I haven't selected a background, so I'm not sure why. How do I get rid of this?

Thanks!
    You probably have the package "desktop-base" installed. It really isn't necessary unless you purposefully installed it.

Grub searches for desktop-base when building the Grub menu. The files are located in /usr/share/images/desktop-base.

There are a couple of ways to get rid of the background:
    1. Uninstall desktop-base
    2. Rename the /usr/share/images/desktop-base folder
    3. Edit the 05_debian_theme script
    4. Use a different image which has a higher priority than desktop-base.

You can check your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file to confirm where the background image is being pulled from. Most likely it is from desktop-base, but it could also be an image file located in /boot/grub or from a setting in /etc/default/grub.

However you hide or remove the image file, run "sudo update-grub" to remove the information from the grub.cfg file.

If this post didn't help, find the section of grub.cfg which references the background image being used and copy it in a post.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@drs305 - Thanks, option 2 worked wonderfully.

@Jakin - Actually, Sans isn't the default font. The default is not to have a font set. There's a button next to the font in the Preferences dialogue ("X" or "-" or whatever your theme represents it as) that clears out the font selection.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    @Jakin - Actually, Sans isn't the default font. The default is not to have a font set. There's a button next to the font in the Preferences dialogue ("X" or "-" or whatever your theme represents it as) that clears out the font selection.
    On my setup there is actually no X or whatever to remove font, i have to actually choose one, So when you asked i checked what mine was (as i had never changed it)

Glad you figured the splash thing out
    Last edited by drs305; August 14th, 2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: format fix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Grub Customizer Locks Me Out!

I just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04.

Mostly, things went pretty smoothly, leaving me with only a few details to sort out.

One detail was that my Grub menu had a lot of duplicates (wish I had noted exactly), instead of just 12.04 & 10.04LTS & XP which should show.

I used Grub Customizer to "fold up" some of these duplicates, assuming I would then not see them on the Grub screen.
    At least one of each OS was still showing.

But when I came to reboot, ALL the 12.04 references had disappeared from Grub screen, so I can no longer boot my main Ubuntu!

I can still get to 10.04LTS & to XP & can also boot 10.04 & 12.04 from live USB sticks.

In 10.04, I tried installing Grub Customizer there too and it sees all the variants quite correctly (12.04 under os-prober) but that doesn't affect the Grub screen, which still does not show 12.04.

How can I regain access to my 12.04?

Of course I can dig into 12.04 files from 10.04, but which file(s) do I need to modify & how?

Thanks for any clues!
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 22.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu & Lenovo 5-15ARE05: W11 / Ubuntu 22.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2CV67 View Post
    Grub Customizer Locks Me Out!

How can I regain access to my 12.04?
    There are two solutions:

a) you can install the bootloader of 10.04 to mbr (on the files menu).
    b) you can switch grub customizer to the 12.04 partition (also on the files menu)

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast