Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

bogan,

I had another thought regarding sde8. Perhaps the multiple entries your current menu is 'harvesting' are the older sde8 kernels which have been moved to the submenu of sde8. So although it shows just one item repeated several times, perhaps it is generating multiple kernel version entries but listing them all the same way. I would expect that a clean install of 12.04.1 wouldn't have many kernel versions, but upgrades from 12.04 would most likely have quite a few older kernels accumulated on the system.

There are a couple of ways you could check. One would be to boot into that OS and remove all additional kernels and update-grub. Then return to your default OS and update-grub and see if it changes the menu.

You could also manually edit the sde8 grub.cfg, removing not only any extra kernels that might be in the main menu but also those listed in the 'submenu' section.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, drs305,

Yeah, the same had occurred to me, but after clearing out all the old headers and images, with Ubuntu Tweak, from both 12.04 installs, the problem actually got worse, not better.

The only install that has several back versions still in it, is 10.04 in sde6, and they do not appear in any of the menus, having been unticked.

I do not know if this is relevant but booting the first three sde8 menu entries, successfully get to GUI after a text boot to a tty prompt, which only stays a few seconds, and after a black screen 20 secs, shows the greeter login screen.

The fourth hangs at a BusyBox/initramfs prompt, after a lot of messages saying /dev/sde8 does not exist & libsomething 3.2.0.29 can not be found.

Checking the menu entry scripts, the only difference is that the last line of the first three is: "initrd /initrd.img", whereas the fourth is: "initrd /initrd.img.old". { Edit: corrected from "/initrd.img~1" .

Update manager has announced a kernal update, so what I have done is to remove all the false entries, except the first, form the /boot/grub/grub.cfg files of both sde11 & sde8, but left all the other files unaltered, and not run update-grub: though of course the update will run it anyway.

We will see what we will see.

Chao & Thanks, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; September 5th, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: correction
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, drs305,

I am now more confused than ever.

The last few days I have had a spate of 'System Fault Detected' & 'Program XXX has stopped unexpectedly' messages, and I got several in the middle of Update Manager. configuring the kernal update Download in 12.04 on sde11. Finally UM crashed completely.

From Root I ran:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    dpkg --configure -a  # none of which seemed to do anything.
    dpkg-reconfigure -a  # which took 12 minutes but showed nothing.
    I then rebooted without running either update-grub or Grub Customizer.

To my surprise the Boot menu showed 12.04 -30 & 12.04-29, both with recovery entries; but the four false sde8 entries were all back: the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file also had the four false sde8 entries back, Your code shows it correctly as it displays:
    Code:
    alan@alan-MS-7318:~$ grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -b 1-11 --complement | cut -d "'" -f1 | cut -d "\"" -f 1 | nl --starting-line-number=0
         0    Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-30-generic-pae
         1    Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-30-generic-pae (recovery mode)
         2    Ubuntu, with 12.04.1 LTS Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae (on /dev/sde11)
         3    Ubuntu, with 12.04.1 LTS Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae (recovery mode) (on /dev/sde11)
         4    Memory test (memtest86+)
         5    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (12.04) (on /dev/sde8)
         6    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (12.04) (on /dev/sde8)
         7    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (12.04) (on /dev/sde8)
         8    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (12.04) (on /dev/sde8)
         9    Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sde1)
        10    Ubuntu, with 11.10 Linux 3.0.0-24-generic ( on USB) (on /dev/sda2)
        11    Ubuntu, with 11.10 Linux 3.0.0-24-generic (recovery mode) ( on USB) (on /dev/sda2)
        12    Ubuntu, with 10.04 LTS Linux 2.6.32-42-generic (on sda6) (on /dev/sde6)
        13    Ubuntu, with 10.04 Linux 2.6.32-42-generic (recovery mode) (on sda6) (on /dev/sde6)
        14    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (12.04) (on /dev/sde8)
    alan@alan-MS-7318:~$
    Update Manager is now running again and now claims there are no updates, and I have to decide whether to update sde8 as well.
    Edit: It would seem that deleting menu entries from the grub.cfg file has no effect.

{ There was an error in my last post I have edited: the second initrd entry was: "initrd.img.old", not: "initrd-img~1"}.
    Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; September 5th, 2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    We will see what we will see.

Chao & Thanks, bogan.
    Yes, let us know. I plan on closing this thread once you get this figured out as I haven't followed the developments of GC sufficiently to offer current advice. Hopefully we can get this figured out.

I think if the menu edit didn't help I would probably purge everything GC related, including all the GC files/folders in /etc/grub.d. Then see what Grub does with menus on it's own.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, drs305,

YES, BUT!

I updated the 12.04 kernal on sde8 successfully and this got rid of the false sde11 entries, substituting the correct ones. So I then booted sde11 and ran 'update-grub' - not GC - and that - according to your code - has got rid of the false sde8 entries and put in the correct ones.

It remains to be seen what happens when I reboot a few times, and examine the relevant files. For the time being at least I do not intend to run Grub Customizer.

I will let you know how it goes, but I have other urgent commitments I can not delay.. Many Thanks for all your Support and Help.

I hope " closing this Thread " only means one will not be able to Post to it, and that what is a very valuable resource to many forum visitors will still be available as a 'How To GC'.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Due to my pending semi-retirement and lack of recent experience with Grub Customizer, I am closing this thread. It will remain in the archives until such time as the forum admin folks decide to purge the tutorial section of out-of-date threads. If you have a GC question please start a new thread. Link to this thread if desired.

I encourage either the Grub Customizer developer or someone with recent in-depth experience to create a wiki for this app in the Ubuntu documentation site. Anyone doing so is more than welcome to use all or part of my posts in this thread to help create such a page.

Many thanks to Daniel Richter for seeing the need for such an application and providing one to the Ubuntu community.

Happy Ubuntu-ing !

Thread closed.
    Last edited by drs305; September 5th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334