Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

You guys are doing such a great job!!!

Please keep up the good work!!!

Thanks Hannibal
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu Quantum 31.10.03 & Windows 10000 on Dell Inspiron 55200 Infinite-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill XIV!'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Just wanted thank telovin for this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by telovin View Post
    ...I backed up the files of grub.d and deleted teh old ones in grub.d added new. Still it was not working out. I backed up my grub.cfg and did
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    . After athat I am able to launch my Grub customizer with
    Code:
    gksu grub-customizer
    command. Now I am able to launch grub customizer...
    I had been monkeying around with the Grub file and forgot to sudo update-grub. Once I did it, the error message telling me to run it as root went away.

Thanks also to the developer of this GUI. I haven't played around with it much, but I'm hopeful that I my dual boot Natty & Peppermint netbook will boot more how I want it. Editing the Grub file didn't work for me, so here's hoping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcatzero View Post
    ...I haven't played around with it much, but I'm hopeful that I my dual boot Natty & Peppermint netbook will boot more how I want it. Editing the Grub file didn't work for me, so here's hoping
    Okay, I spoke too soon. I found the GUI really simple to use, but when I rebooted the changes I saved weren't reflected in the Grub at startup. I successfully ran "sudo update-grub", rebooted again, and Grub's still showing the default menu with none of my edits.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Okay, I spoke too soon. I found the GUI really simple to use, but when I rebooted the changes I saved weren't reflected in the Grub at startup. I successfully ran "sudo update-grub", rebooted again, and Grub's still showing the default menu with none of my edits.
    Did you remember to press 'Save' after making the changes in GC? Running update-grub wouldn't incorporate GC's changes unless you had saved it's configuration.

The second thing to check is whether you made the changes on the controlling Grub2 files. It's possible you are making changes to your current system files but the other OS's system files control the boot process.

If you have multiple installations, you can tell which one is controlling Grub by seeing which kernel is listed first (or pressing 'e' and checking the UUID if you have the same kernel). Of course that assumes you haven't reordered the menu.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm pretty sure I saved my changes. I know I clicked save multiple times as I made changes.

I assume the Ubuntu 11.04 partition controls the Grub, since the Peppermint partition is only 6GB compared to over 100GB for Ubuntu plus Ubuntu is the first distro I installed on this machine. But I'll make sure. The first item in the Grub list at startup is Peppermint so it's possible that's the distro I need to make the changes in. I'll try it from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I downloaded Grub Customizer to my Peppermint partition and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I assume the Ubuntu 11.04 partition controls the Grub, since the Peppermint partition is only 6GB compared to over 100GB for Ubuntu plus Ubuntu is the first distro I installed on this machine.
    Glad it's working. The size of the OS really won't determine which Grub controls. I suspect the Peppermint installation overwrote the MBR and took control of the boot, which is the normal behavior of most OS's.

As more and more users play with multiboot systems, especially similar ones like the Ubuntu family, it's easy to lose track of which Grub is controlling things. I use a different splash screen for each OS.

If you ever want to regain Grub control on your current linux OS, it's easy to do. This command assumes sda is the drive BIOS boots.
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not really all that important to me which OS controls Grub, unless I were to decide to switch out Peppermint for another lightweight distro. Would that cause more Grub problems, or would the system handle it pretty smoothly?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's not really all that important to me which OS controls Grub, unless I were to decide to switch out Peppermint for another lightweight distro. Would that cause more Grub problems, or would the system handle it pretty smoothly?
    Overall G2 handles most mainstream distros fairly well. If you have problems it's been around long enough that we'll most likely have the correct menuentry if it fails.

It doesn't matter which Grub controls - until you are on the non-controlling one trying to make changes.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I see there's been GRUB 1.99 released drs305

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/in.../msg00008.html

Do you anticipate any changes/improvements that would affect anyone using GC if they upgrade?

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast