Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

I don't know why but when I try to run Grub Customizer, Ubuntu gets completely freezed and I can do nothing, just pressing the reset button..
    Tried to install with all the three possibilities but every time I have the same problem. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.. please help! Having Ubuntu 10.04
    Last edited by patrickl26; January 23rd, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by patrickl26 View Post
    I don't know why but when I try to run Grub Customizer, Ubuntu gets completely freezed and I can do nothing, just pressing the reset button..
    Tried to install with all the three possibilities but every time I have the same problem. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.. please help! Having Ubuntu 10.04
    Is it freezing when you try to install it or is it when you try to run it? In either case, attempt to do it from a command line and provide us with the error code you get (if possible).

To add the repository:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
    To update the repositories:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    To install Grub Customizer:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
    To run Grub Customizer:
    Code:
    gksu grub-customizer
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thanks for that quick reply.
    No, the installation works fine, just can't start the application, because it crashes my whole system and I can't do nothing but pressing the restart button. I have this problem just with this application, others work fine for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by patrickl26 View Post
    Thanks for that quick reply.
    No, the installation works fine, just can't start the application, because it crashes my whole system and I can't do nothing but pressing the restart button. I have this problem just with this application, others work fine for me.
    Did you try it from the command line using "gksu...."?
    Are there any error messages?

If it crashes, what happens if you try another GUI app such as gedit as root ( gksu gedit )?
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

when i run gedit using terminal the app is starting without any problem. I have also tried to run Grub Customizer via Teminal and there isn't any error message because the PC freezes just after pressing enter.
    Keep reading other freezing problems topics but none of them is a help.
    EDIT:
    Updated Ubunto to 10.10 and now it works like a charm!
    Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by patrickl26; January 23rd, 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

drs305,
    First of all, thank you for this program. I am having no issues except the background image. The first computer I installed it on, the image worked fine. The next two computers everything worked except no background image. All three are lucid. For the one that worked, I picked the font colors, and for both backgrounds I picked "transparent".
    I didn't fully understand your earlier explaination concerning image, but should I set both backgrounds to "black" ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cpierce View Post
    drs305,
    First of all, thank you for this program. I am having no issues except the background image. The first computer I installed it on, the image worked fine. The next two computers everything worked except no background image. All three are lucid. For the one that worked, I picked the font colors, and for both backgrounds I picked "transparent".
    I didn't fully understand your earlier explaination concerning image, but should I set both backgrounds to "black" ?

Thank you in advance for any help.
    First, to be clear, you can thank me for the guide but certainly not the program, which was written by Daniel Richter. He deserves all the credit.

I haven't determined what the issue is with the background displays - and why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Grub2 doesn't understand the setting "transparent" - Grub Customizer presents that as an option for the second section of the font color since it is more intuitive than "black". GC passes "transparent" to Grub2 as "black", which as a second entry in the font color is what Grub considers transparent.

If you want to try to manually edit the 05_debian_theme file and not use GC, you would use "black" as the second setting. Here is an example of an entry for /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme:
    WALLPAPER="/data/backgrounds/earth.png"
    COLOR_NORMAL="light-gray/black"
    COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="green/black"
    The above entry uses the image "earth.png" stored in /data/backgrounds. The highlighted menu entry text is green; unselected entries are light gray. The image is visible behind and around the text.
    The background image appears since both have 'black' as the second entry.

If another color was the second entry:
    For the highlighted entry, a solid colored bar across the entire screen. The image is hidden by the bar.
    If the 'normal' entry also had a (non-black) color as the second value, the entire screen other than the one highlighted would be that color.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much for the info. I will try this tomorrow and report back. Thanks again !

Beans
    Distro

I checked it out, and it still isn't working on those two computers. Nothing under the "appearance" tab works, except resolution. I check under the "advanced" tab and it does list black as the secondary color for both COLOR_NORMAL and COLOR_HIGHLIGHT. The grub boots up as a default and ignores the font colors and background image. The Grub Customizer is version 2.0.8. If I can't get this to work, I will manually change it as you suggested. Just wanted to try everything before I did that. That is what this tool is for, and I would sure like to get it working.

Any other suggestions to try ?

Beans
    Distro

Now I am really confused. I went ahead and manually changed the debian_theme as you described, updated grub, and rebooted. I got the same Black screen with the white font and light gray highlight.

This shouldn't be this difficult. Please help !

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast