Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

I installed GC and the grub2-splashimages package. My grub.cfg file looks the same as yours except I see you are still using a jpg image - I assume this is yours unless you converted one of the downloaded images. The package files are all .tga files.

If the one you are using is not one of the downloaded images, make sure the image is RGB (you can tell in Gimp via Image > Mode. Make sure it's RGB and not Indexed).

If this doesn't solve things, and you haven't tried using one of the /usr/share/images/grub tga files, try one of those.

The only other difference I see is your resolution is set to a specific value while mine is set to auto. You could try manually editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg and changing the gfxmode setting to "set gfxmode=auto". If you try this, do not update-grub before rebooting.

Edit: Looks like you edited your post as well and have already tried a .tga file...

Edit 2
    One other thing that may have happened. Grub 1.99 (Natty) uses the first image file it finds in /boot/grub if you haven't specifically designated it in /etc/default/grub with the GRUB_BACKGROUND setting. When you set the image in GC and 'save' it should use the correct file, but to be absolutely sure I'd remove any other images from /boot/grub and leave only the one you really want to use.

Edit 3
    I've just confirmed my suspicions in Edit 2. Even though I selected the tga file I placed in /boot/grub, with an old .png file in the same folder, grub.cfg used the .png file instead. So if your .jpg file is bad, Grub2 may not have used the .tga file. I'd remove your jpg file and select the tga file once more in Grub Customizer. Don't forget to press SAVE.
    Last edited by drs305; May 5th, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I went into the grub folder and deleted all the images I previously tried to use, then in grub customizer I selected a .tga file from grub splashscrens, left the customize resolution button unchecked, hit copy to grub dir, and then save. I restarted and still didn't work...so I edited the grub cfg file to set gfxmode to auto and nothing has changed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Does your grub.cfg contain these entries:
    if background_image /boot/grub/<name.of.your.image.tga>; then
    true
    else
    Perhaps something I wrote in this guide last week might cover what I'm missing:
    Grub 2 Drop-In Backgrounds & Font Selection
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

yes it does right here:
    Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 9ac30183-21d3-4394-939d-e2ed98839da4
    insmod tga
    if background_image /boot/grub/Lake_mapourika_NZ.tga; then
      true
    else
      set menu_color_normal=white/black
      set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
      if background_color 44,0,30; then
        clear
      fi
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    i'll have to look through that guide.

Beans
    Distro

its just weird that update-grub gives me this...

Generating grub.cfg ...
    using custom appearance settings
    Found background image: Lake_mapourika_NZ.tga
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    done
    so it should work

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pro$pect View Post
    its just weird that update-grub gives me this...
    I know GC creates some of its own files and moves the originals to a temporary file. Seeing what you just posted, "using custom appearance settings" must be something inserted into the grub.cfg file by GC. It's not a normal Grub2 message. Since anything GC does should make its way into grub.cfg, I haven't asked to see any other files.

About the only suggestion I can offer at this point is to remove GC and revert to a standard G2 setup to see if it will work for you without GC's assistance.

I've found the fastest way for me to revert the settings is to quickly purge/reinstall grub-common/grub-pc, but I know exactly what settings to change once I'm back to the defaults.

sudo apt-get update # Update repositories and make sure Internet is working.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-common
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc # TAB to OK when asked, SPACEBAR to select sda, then TAB to OK
    The GC has instructions for how to restore things to the defaults, I just find the above easier for me to understand.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Really helpful stuff man thanks a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for this tutorial

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Question Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

I have a question that probably borders 'silly'.

Whats the difference between what this program achieves and what plymouth does? Upon installing plymouth I still dont see any difference in my boot screen in spite of applying a theme.
    Last edited by cyberjar09; May 10th, 2011 at 06:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyberjar09 View Post
    I have a question that probably borders 'silly'.

Whats the difference between what this program achieves and what plymouth does? Upon installing plymouth I still dont see any difference in my boot screen in spite of applying a theme.
    This program only affects Grub and the boot sequence. (Well, you could argue that it can add kernel parameters that will influence how the OS runs.)

The graphic images are only for the initial boot screen - what you see behind the menu entries on the Grub screen. Grub runs before any OS is loaded; plymouth is loaded and comes into play only after Grub passes control over to the kernel/OS. Splash images you see later on in the boot process aren't controlled by Grub.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast