Thread: linux books and learning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

linux books and learning

People, as I am a scared convert to ubuntu and liking it very much I would like educate myself in the ways of the open source platform.

I have been a network engineer almost completely immersed in Cisco and Juniper platforms for the past 15years. I have been using open source platform on and off for that time too - however, I have never found myself learning it completely.

Are they books and online tutorials I can buy so I can learn Linux; Squid proxy, create Apache Web servers, Radius/TACACS servers and Open SQL DBs for basic autho? also, I must know how to completely navigate the CLI to create directories navigate to desired directories open them and edit with VI.

I find the Dummies guide too basic and others too advanced... no middle ground.

I would appreciate a few pointers please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: linux books and learning

There's a free ebook at this website that is great for learning the cli.

http://www.linuxcommand.org/

I don't have any other books to recommend though, sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by tech_junky View Post
    People, as I am a scared convert to ubuntu and liking it very much I would like educate myself in the ways of the open source platform.

I have been a network engineer almost completely immersed in Cisco and Juniper platforms for the past 15years. I have been using open source platform on and off for that time too - however, I have never found myself learning it completely.

Are they books and online tutorials I can buy so I can learn Linux; Squid proxy, create Apache Web servers, Radius/TACACS servers and Open SQL DBs for basic autho? also, I must know how to completely navigate the CLI to create directories navigate to desired directories open them and edit with VI.

I find the Dummies guide too basic and others too advanced... no middle ground.

I would appreciate a few pointers please.
    These may be useful for you--
    http://tricksfind.blogspot.com/2010/...x-e-books.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's another one I found helpful:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

You can download a free PDF version, or purchase a printed copy through the Amazon link provided there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nice one, I'll give those a go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"Beginning Linux Programming" by Neil Matthew and Richard Stones from Wrox.
    www.wrox.com
    It's a hefty tome and actually covers some advanced stuff like writing drivers. I'm still on page 50 of 848

Beans
    Hidden!

You could also use Synaptic Package manager (or any other method you are happy with) to install rutebook.

You can then access it in a browser at: file:///usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/index.html.

Another worthwhile installation might be dwww, you'll then find an entry for 'Debian Document Browser' under Applications --> Accessories where you can easily access all installed documentaion.
    Linux Counter - 312953
    (on the 'new' DB)