Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New FPS game project

Beans

Re: New FPS game project

Quote Originally Posted by jpv89 View Post
    I think we should keep it simple:

Frozen.
    I like it.

For an update, if anyone's making 3d models, I need them in one of the following formats:

• .obj, and provide your own texture, and material if you can (if you don't know about this, I can use a standard one)
    • .mesh.xml, this one bundles everything into one easy-to-use object, but isn't nearly as well supported by animation tools. If you can make it like this but not .j3o, then do
    • .j3o, this is a custom file type for jME. It would be the best possible way to do it if you made the files in the form of an asset pack for jME.

What I'm expecting, really is for most of them to be .obj. It's a good, generalized format which everything should be able to export.

Still, if sketching is more your style then we still need concept art. Jpv89, more like the one you've done is great.

Beans

That name is too simple I think.
    If you google the game you will get 100 hits that aren't even related, and maybe the game will appear on page 22.
    So call it something original but easy to say, remember and type.
    What about Open Frosty or Frostration or something like that?
    Or you can call it Cold Blood, but I think that game already exists

Beans

Frozen Fury maybe?

On the technical side, does anyone know how to preview a scene in jME so that I can see where all the starting objects will be? At the moment I have to guess where it will be and adjust based on where it was, which is ok with around 10 objects, but when it gets up to the hundreds or even thousands in the full game it will get really annoying.

Also, watch this space for an alpha preview (don't expect anything amazing, it's a proof of technological concept). Should be here in about an hour.

Finally, I'll be throwing up a site, probably in the next 24 hours. I think that when this thread gets too long to manage, we can shift our communications to the new site.

Beans

Want me to set up a wordpress blog/forum?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jpv89 View Post
    Want me to set up a wordpress blog/forum?
    That would be great. Make both of us admins. I need to focus on the code. This is no simple problem... Nearly 400 lines of code already and it's just a scene with some cubes!

EDIT: Also, what time zone are you in, so we can find the best times to collaborate?

Beans

European Central Time, yourself?

And I set up a free temporary forum at http://frozenproject.freeforums.org. We can use that untill I get a better permanent hosting.

Beans

how's the code coming along by the way?

Beans

NZST, so GMT+13.
    12 hours apart, that's bad luck.

Anyway, I've registered on the forum as gemmahenchmen.

In terms of the code, I've got a basic proof-of-concept going, I'm now implementing a nifty physics engine. I'll either be done in about 30 mins or will just upload it without the engine and update later.

Beans

The moment we've all been waiting for... *drumroll*

The alpha release!

As I've said earlier, it's a basic proof-of-concept, with colored cubes (enemies) and random obstacles, set in a little town.

EDIT: BTW this one doesn't yet have the physics; it was harder than I expected.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I think I'm missing all the dependencies. Did you build them into the jar?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast