Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New FPS game project

Beans

Re: New FPS game project

@jpv89
    That sounds awesome! We'll go with that. Now let's see some concept art...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sounds like a cool idea.. What about multiple islands? Like 2 or 3 main ones where the different char types (magic caster, gunslinger ect...)come from... And I know this is entirely random but what Ive been hoping to see in a game for a long time is a weapon/magic system like the Materia in Final Fantasy 7. Anyone remember playing it? I still consider it one of the greatest games of all time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    Sounds like a cool idea.. What about multiple islands? Like 2 or 3 main ones where the different char types (magic caster, gunslinger ect...)come from... And I know this is entirely random but what Ive been hoping to see in a game for a long time is a weapon/magic system like the Materia in Final Fantasy 7. Anyone remember playing it? I still consider it one of the greatest games of all time.
    I haven't played Final Fantasy 7 before. If you can sum it up for me, then we might be able to implement it.

Beans

I personally think FPS-style combat would fit this theme best. I've been longing for an FPS game that offers more than just rounds and rounds of fighting other people and for an MMO whre you don't have to hit enemies for over a minute to kill them. Some fast-paced FPS action is just what the gaming world needs, in my opinion. However, I'm aware of the technical problems that arise when combining FPS with MMO. Nothing is unsolvable though.

Beans

Just a quick sketch of a player in cold-weather clothing. When on the ice the weather can be brutal, limiting visibility severely thus giving combat a little more tension. Someone might just sneak up on you with a knife.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

As a person who love games, I really wish there could be more (or atleaset 1) fps game that's not doom or quake based.
    We have like 100 of them already.
    What we need is more GTA, APB and Red Dead Redemption type of games.
    Just to give you something you can work from.

EDIT: You should not make it available for windows or mac.
    If this turns out to be an awesome game, it can open up peoples eyes for linux.
    Last edited by ivarn; January 12th, 2011 at 09:52 PM.

Beans

@jpv89
    I like the look of that sketch. I think that we should somehow make it so everyone's character is extremely customizable. Also, each of the 3 factions should dress very differently so it's easy to tell them apart. Keep going with sketches like that, keeping in mind the different factions, and also maybe some scenery and environments too.

Also, always being heavy blizzard will be really helpful for the graphics, believe it or not, because then people can see less detail, saving tons of work.

@ivarn
    I agree about too many generic, bunny-hopping, spray-and-pray kind of FPS games. I think it will have some of the general elements of GTA style games, but without making it based on crime and inevitably R rated.

On the programming side, where I'm currently at is at an environment with objects that you can walk around. I haven't yet worked out how to establish a floor or an object that you can't walk through though. I've conclusively decided to use jME3 (jMonkeyEngine3, it's currently in alpha, so it may be unstable, but I like to be on the cutting edge ).

Finally, if anyone else has contributions to make then please give them here. All the comments really helps the project pick up steam. I also think we're not far away from a first, early, early alpha (i.e. a room you can walk around in with people in snowsuits).

EDIT: If I'm not going to open it up to the windows public, we should at least offer a demo version? Since it's going to be a Java game, I can make it an applet on the Internet so that anyone can play it. In fact, we could make it an android app as well. Unless it's an amazing game, I don't think anyone will switch for it.
    Perhaps it could have a limited, applet version that anyone can play on the internet, and a full, downloaded version that's only for linux.
    Last edited by gemmahenchmen; January 12th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Beans

Yea make it as open as possible for linux users so that people can use the game for future projects, and so that people can rebuild and make more maps, mission packs and objects.
    It's also a good idea to make one friendly version and one version for men with sexy hoes, strip bars etc.. That will make the game super cool for 2 types of people.
    Also, I have an idea for windows users.
    Since it's java you can make a online version of the game.
    In this version you will can give them enough to make it playable but only with one mission. To make the online version smaller, do not let it be open world.
    The online version ending must include a video of cool things you'll miss.
    Also, close the source to GPL license so that windows people can''t copy the stuff and make a windows version legally.
    Last edited by ivarn; January 13th, 2011 at 12:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivarn View Post
    Also, I have an idea for windows users.
    Since it's java you can make a online version of the game.
    In this version you will can give them enough to make it playable but only with one mission. To make the online version smaller, do not let it be open world.
    The online version ending must include a video of cool things you'll miss.
    Also, close the source to GPL license so that windows people can''t copy the stuff and make a windows version legally.
    I don't want to have to force people to move to ubuntu to use it. I think it's best for it to be freely available to everyone to start with, and since it'll be an MMO, we can cut off server support for the original, available-to-all version, release version 2, then make it the same as version 1 for the windows users but with tons of cool new features for the linux users. This means that no-one will be angry that the windows version got worse, because it didn't. The linux one just got better

Also, what should we call the game? Theme is ice-age-apocalypse. Any ideas?

Beans

I think we should keep it simple:

Frozen.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast