Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    36

    Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    Hi

    I've been making repeated attempts, all so far unsuccessful, to set up Mythbuntu 10.10.

    I've installed it on a 4GB usb thumb drive and have this connected to my main (workstation) PC. Installed on that machine's hard drive is (apart from WinXP) Mepis Linux - so there's a swap partition already there. I intended this to be the backend.

    I'm using the CD as a live frontend running on my HTPC in my TV room. So this is a "live session", which the Wiki doesn't directly refer to. Instead, clicking on the Mythbuntu icon on the frontend's desktop brings up a box called "Mythbuntu live session configuration" which demands a "4-digit security key set" - which I'm supposed to get from the backend MythTV setup.

    Major problem

    Although clicking on Applications -> System -> MythTV Backend Setup on the backend's menu is supposed to bring up the backend setup screen, it doesn't. Instead it brings up what I take to be the frontend setup screen ("select language", 2 pages of "database configuration" in which the only reference is to frontend...).

    In MCC > System Roles I have Backend Role/Primary backend, and Frontend Role/Desktop frontend, checked. If that doesn't conform to my physical setup as described, what does?

    Can anyone please suggest what I might do? Right now, I might just as well not have bothered, and saved myself a lot of grief.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Beans
    3,283
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    If you want to run the backend setup at a terminal on the backend type
    Code:
    mythtv-setup

    Unless you've changed the default backend security PIN, it is 0000.

    Have you completed the backend setup on this machine previously?
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    4,300
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    The live disk is for running the frontend, the backend doesn't run on it. You may be able to get it to work, but AFAIK it's completely untested.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Beans
    3,283
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    The live disk is for running the frontend, the backend doesn't run on it. You may be able to get it to work, but AFAIK it's completely untested.
    I assumed from the below quote he had the backend booting of a 4GB USB drive on another machine. If that isn't true then, yeah,I wouldn't suggest getting the front and backend to work off the liveCD


    Quote Originally Posted by torpare View Post
    Hi
    ...

    I've installed it on a 4GB usb thumb drive and have this connected to my main (workstation) PC. Installed on that machine's hard drive is (apart from WinXP) Mepis Linux - so there's a swap partition already there. I intended this to be the backend...
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Aotearoha
    Beans
    2,661
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    You need to run mythtv-setup (terminal) on the each backend before doing anything else.
    This has always been the case.
    You should do this after every update.

    The backend should be happy & running (with database-mythfilldatabase, tuners, network) before anything else..

    The first time you run myth frontend it will set the language prefs.
    Each frontend has its own language prefs (I believe)

    Run stuff (with debugging) from terminal so you can see the stdout messages.
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; January 9th, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: add

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    36

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    The live disk is for running the frontend, the backend doesn't run on it. You may be able to get it to work, but AFAIK it's completely untested.
    @tgm4883
    I must have explained myself badly.

    It is in fact for running the frontend that I'm using the live disc, just as you say. That's what I was attempting to describe.

    Just so we're clear...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    36

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    You need to run mythtv-setup (terminal) on the each backend before doing anything else.
    This has always been the case.
    You should do this after every update.

    The backend should be happy & running (with database-mythfilldatabase, tuners, network) before anything else..

    The first time you run myth frontend it will set the language prefs.
    Each frontend has its own language prefs (I believe)

    Run stuff (with debugging) from terminal so you can see the stdout messages.
    Hi BicyclerBoy
    As a (more-or-less complete) ignoramus, I must of course defer to your superior knowledge - and will gladly do so, so far as I'm able.

    However, I remain curious as to why I'm being forced to use a terminal when (as appears from this, among other things I've read, http://andrewmanugian.wordpress.com/...ide/#configure ) the designers' intention was that the user be provided with a GUI for performing the entire backend setup process.

    The Wiki also confirms this (though its failure so far to provide any screenshots - still "TBD") severely vitiates the Wiki's usefulness to any noob such as myself, which is regrettable.

    Experienced Linux users such as yourself are of course entirely comfortable using a CLI. I'm not, unfortunately, and would much prefer to use the GUI which - despite the literature promising it - the ver. 10.10 CD doesn't, for some unknown reason, appear to be delivering. Hence my frustration and bewilderment.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    36

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
    If you want to run the backend setup at a terminal on the backend type
    Code:
    mythtv-setup

    Unless you've changed the default backend security PIN, it is 0000.

    Have you completed the backend setup on this machine previously?
    @newlinux

    Hi
    No, I haven't - because the GUI for doing so has never appeared on my backend (as explained in the immediately preceding post). So no, I haven't changed the default backend security PIN.

    When I go back into Mythbuntu - I'm posting this using (shudder!) Windows - I'll try to follow BicyclerBoy's instructions using a terminal instead. If this is successful then I ought to be in a position to make some useful progress at last.

    As already said above, I remain baffled as to why Mythbuntu 10.10 isn't putting-up the backend GUI on my backend machine as it's supposed to. Even more baffled as to why it puts-up a GUI but it's the wrong one. Something clearly isn't right, and I don't know what.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    36

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    You need to run mythtv-setup (terminal) on the each backend before doing anything else.
    Understood but, unfortunately, proving impossible...
    The backend should be happy & running (with database-mythfilldatabase, tuners, network) before anything else..

    Run stuff (with debugging) from terminal so you can see the stdout messages.
    ...for this very reason:- that I haven't the glimmering of an idea how I'm to run MythTV setup without a GUI to do it with.

    We keep returning to this core problem, unfortunately. I had understood that the whole point of Mythbuntu was to enable the non-linux user (me, for instance) to make use of MythTV through the agency of a "barebones" Ubuntu installation. If said installation refuses to work as it's supposed-to, it leaves the non-linux user completely high and dry. That's the situation I find myself in.

    Logically, it seems to me, it's the non-functioning of Mythbuntu in the way intended by its developers that needs addressing first, because it's that functionality that the non-linux/non-Ubuntu user is relying upon as a bedrock for everything else. Why am I seeing the behaviour I described in the OP in this thread, which in no way accords with what is supposed to be happening, and how can I get the system to function in the way it's supposedly designed-to - without first having to try ro turn myself into a Ububtu/Linux expert (which the whole point of Mythbuntu was allegedly to avoid any necessity for)?

    Just as a (completely off-the-wall) suggestion:- might the fact that I'm running Mythbuntu from a usb stick have anything to do with the problems I'm experiencing? I ask because I've had no previous experience of running an OS this way and don't know what, if any, pitfalls it may have. (I've noticed that it's very slow, for example - is this normal?).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Beans
    297
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Total impasse setting-up Mythbuntu

    Is your backend set up and working properly? Is the backend properly recording stuff? You should be able to set it up using the GUI setup menus and no terminal needed. You should have everything you need to set up both the backend and the frontend in the respective computers' Myth Control Centre (just like the creators of Mythbuntu intend. In MCC there is a link to the backend setup screen.
    Last edited by larsolav; January 10th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •