Thread: How to check if CPU throttling is ON or OFF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How to check if CPU throttling is ON or OFF

I am trying to install the ATLAS BLAS library which recommends that I turn if CPU throttling to do the install.

How do I check if my CPU throttling is ON or OFF?

I tried the suggestion of
    Code:
    ./cpufreq-selector -g performance
    in the /usr/bin directory as suggested elsewhere in the forum but there was no output and the control returned back to the user.

I have searched everywhere but there does not seem to be a way to determine the status of the CPU throttling

Thank you
    HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. Memory: 3.7 GB

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to check if CPU throttling is ON or OFF

Quote Originally Posted by gaurish108 View Post
    I am trying to install the ATLAS BLAS library which recommends that I turn if CPU throttling to do the install.

How do I check if my CPU throttling is ON or OFF?

I tried the suggestion of
    Code:
    ./cpufreq-selector -g performance
    in the /usr/bin directory as suggested elsewhere in the forum but there was no output and the control returned back to the user.

I have searched everywhere but there does not seem to be a way to determine the status of the CPU throttling

Thank you
    Throttling occurs when the CPU governor is set to Ondemand or Conservative. Set it to Performance or Powersave within Linux to disable throttling. Or disable Speed Step in your computer's BIOS to run at full speed the whole time.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Right click on a blank area of the top panel, click CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor, then you can easily turn it off & on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Right click on a blank area of the top panel, click CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor, then you can easily turn it off & on.
    Right Click on blank area, then click add to panel then click CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor.

Beans

There are numerous ways to display the speed the currently at. I use conky, but there is also the applet mentioned above. Once you can see what speed the cores are at, type
    Code:
    yes > /dev/null
    into a terminal and see if it ups to the highest speed it should. In my case each core is currently at 800MHz, sending one of the cores into an infinite series of 'yes' it jumps to the full 3.2GHz.

Beans

The most recent ubuntus have a utility called indicator-cpufreq. It can be installed with sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq. After logging in and out again it started automatically and shows an icon near the top-right screen corner, and one can both see all the cpu-frequencies and change the policy. Kristjan Jonasson.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the information but this thread is nearly 2 years old.

Closed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Old thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.