Thread: Single System Image computing in Ubuntu

Beans

Angry Single System Image computing in Ubuntu

I need SSI in Ubuntu.

First, for those who doesn't know: "In distributed computing, a single system image (SSI) cluster is a cluster of machines that appears to be one single system" More in wikipedia

It means a very cool thing. You just turn on PCs in your LAN-network and they boot into Linux via Ethernet network from your HDD. Yes, not from their HDDs but from yours. Yes, even your mom's PC does, where only Windows is installed. Then those PCs are auto-magically attached to your "master" PC and, hop-ala, your PC gets more CPU and more RAM. Yes, not those web-clouds, not those SETI@Home and alike, not those PMI, no-no. You get your huuuuge Linux desktop, with many RAM and many CPUs

So, you have kind of home super-computing in your home when your family lefts their computers (or in office, when your colleagues went home or are on vacations). Their disks by default remain safe and untouched. You just use their CPU and RAM.

My PC often computes hard things for many hours, sometimes days. I was a happy user of OpenSSI 5-7 years ago and last years I've been always missing OpenSSI on my Ubuntu dev box.

OK, if not OpenSSI, then maybe Kerrighed, but I need SSI very, very much!

Please, contribute to this movement!!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyUbuntuClustering

P.S. I dream about days, when I could share my PCs among others via Internet and get even larger SSI.

P.P.S. please don't move this topic to Science or etc. It is not for scientists only! Common people could use SSI well for encoding their video, 3D-artists could render their scenes. Financiers could use SSI to work with their financial data. Finally, when it indeed widely available, people could come with more crazy applications, that one would even never thought about, because without SSI one needs 10 years to get a desktop of such a performance.
    Last edited by mörgæs; September 13th, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: please use standard font

Beans

Re: Single System Image computing in Ubuntu *WANTED* !!

I am looking forward to Ubuntu SSI also.... Any news on this??

Beans

Angry Re: Single System Image computing in Ubuntu *WANTED* !!

No