Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing madwifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installing madwifi

I think the problem is that, for years, compiling the madwifi drivers was the solution.

So your wireless doesn`t work and you consult uncle google.

He tells you to compile the madwifi drivers, when all you have to do is enable them in Additional Drivers.

Maybe Ubuntu should offer an option, by way of a pop up window thingy, rather than expect new users to find it.

Beans

Re: Why??????

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forums, nice to see you sorted within 30 minutes with the help of nothingspecial.

As an aside, nothing about Grub would stop you installing a different operating system. I hope you can continue to use Ubuntu and wish you well with it, but you aren't stuck with it.

No, technically the problem is that when doing an UBUNTU single OS install it wipes out the windows loader, which renders the ACER windows erecovery disks useless (and, yes, it was a lot of hours of work to figure that out). yes, you can get the windows loader online, but, no it won't work with the recovery disk type reinstall.

I didn't want to do a single UBUNTU OS install, but you can't connect a Broadcom type machine wirelessly thru the WUBI installation and I thought an iso install would help (because build-essential would be on the CDROM). Sadly the iso install would not work for dual boot as far as the partitioning, so I did an UBUNTU single OS install. Then I couldn't "Add CDROM" anyway, so I couldn't get build-essential because the machine was not connected. Obviously, I did eventually move the machine to a wired connection (another hour of work), but the point is that if someone tries to install UBUNTU on a Broadcom wireless card type machine, without having a wired connection, it is basically impossible. This kind of thing is very frustrating to new users, even ones with a fair amount of computer experience. However, I understand that it is Broadcom's fault. I deal with Microsoft in my job in the real world and I know how these companies can be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The build-essential package is a meta-package that installs various packages required for building code from source.

You didn`t actually need them.

Again, and I feel sorry that you have been put in this situation, the problem is that google led you to an outdated solution. Ubuntu should address this imo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    I think the problem is that, for years, compiling the madwifi drivers was the solution.

So your wireless doesn`t work and you consult uncle google.

He tells you to compile the madwifi drivers, when all you have to do is enable them in Additional Drivers.

Maybe Ubuntu should offer an option, by way of a pop up window thingy, rather than expect new users to find it.
    The real problem is that in order to connect wirelessly with a Broadcom type wireless setup you have to be connected through a wire to get the things you need to get to connect wirelessly.

That is the answer I needed. Not criticizing, but that is what I needed to know three days ago.

btw, I can't figure out how to mark this thd as "solved"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanville View Post
    The real problem is that in order to connect wirelessly with a Broadcom type wireless setup you have to be connected through a wire to get the things you need to get to connect wirelessly.
    Yep, that`s it in a nutshell.

Click the thread tools thingy at the top of the page.

Beans

How do I install madwifi if I can't connect hard wired. I have no way to do this - no Ethernet card! I have another computer - so why can't I just download something and put it on a USB or floppy?

Beans

Well I was being stupid - and the interface was not exactly compliant. I was going into Network Connections dialog box (where you can put in settings and such for all your networks), but instead should have clicked on the icon that looks like two arrows= one up and one down to access the wireless networks - and mine was there. No need to get the madwifi thing - and am I glad as it seems way too complicated for me at this particular time! Oh - and I'm using XUbuntu - so the interface is a bit different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12