Thread: Need help with Canon PIXMA MP490 on ubuntu 10.10 - scans but doesn't print?!

Beans

Exclamation Need help with Canon PIXMA MP490 on ubuntu 10.10 - scans but doesn't print?!

Hi! I'm new to the forums but I've had ubuntu running for a while now. I'm a total newbie though and don't know any of the fancy terminal commands and what not.

Anyhow, the issue I'm having is with my new Canon PIXMA MP490 printer. I've searched the forums up and down and found only few threads about this printer and none of the solutions given there worked for me. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10.

I've followed these instructions given by jkeane, however I did not install the ScanGear for Linux (1.4) because for some unknown reason my MP490 scans like magic already (with SimpleScan). It's only the printing that is making me bang my head on the wall;

If I go to "System" - "Administration" - "Printing" it shows my printer in there and it is able to tell whether it is offline or online as well.

If I try to print something, (most of the time) it shows up in "Document Print Status (my jobs)" - and it shows the process or at least says "processing". Yet my printer does nothing.....?

Any ideas on what is wrong and what I could do to fix it? I'll bake you cookies all year long if you can fix my printer/ubuntu!!

Otherwise the printer works well, scans well and copies well - just that it doesn't print which is kinda the function I bought it for, lol. The thing is I wouldn't want to switch back to windows now, just cause of a printer. I'm loving ubuntu and all the nice features it has.

Thank you so so much for anyone who can offer their help! It's really appreciated!

Beans

Re: Need help with Canon PIXMA MP490 on ubuntu 10.10 - scans but doesn't print?!

Is there any way I could make the printer work through wine or something? Anyone?

SOLVED!
    Last edited by evergreenoflife; January 8th, 2011 at 04:43 PM.

Beans

Re: Need help with Canon PIXMA MP490 on ubuntu 10.10 - scans but doesn't print?!

Quote Originally Posted by evergreenoflife View Post

SOLVED!
    but how!!??

Beans

Install the canon Linux drivers for your printer here:
    http://www.canon.com.my/
    Ubuntu 10.10 & Mepis Linux 11: Gigabyte G41M-ES2L: 2Giga ram: Intel Pentium II 2.60 Ghz dual core: Wireless: wmp54g ver.4.1: Western digital 500 gb hdd sata. PRINTER: CANON PIXMA MP250.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's no Linux driver listed at the Canon website. It is only ******* and Mac.
    Liberated machines: 52

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We used this link from Asia's Canon website
    It started a loop in terminal that would keep asking you for the printer, and say it wouldn't find one. Once it did this, though, the computer recognized the printer and printed fine.
    Liberated machines: 52