Thread: "Sound Recorder" and Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"Sound Recorder" and Lubuntu

One application I like to use is the "Sound Recorder" that comes with Ubuntu.

I have recently installed Lubuntu onto my EeePC netbook, because its lightness is better for the resource-challenged netbook.

"Sound Recorder" does not come with Lubuntu, nor does an alternative as far as I can tell. So I installed gnome-media, which includes "Sound Recorder".

But when I try to run "Sound Recorder" from the menu, I get a dialogue box that says

Your audio capture settings are invalid. Please correct them with the "Sound Preferences" under the System Preferences menu.
    This message is obviously aimed at Gnome/Ubuntu users, as there is no sound preferences control in the Lubuntu menu.

Can someone please tell me how to correct my sound preferences in Lubuntu, or alternatively suggest another sound recording app that will work with Lubuntu?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: "Sound Recorder" and Lubuntu

First, I have absolutely no idea if this will work, not using lubuntu.

However, you may have some luck if you install the pavucontrol package.

Then access it through the sound & video menu (if lubuntu has that).

There is a recording settings tab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    First, I have absolutely no idea if this will work, not using lubuntu.

However, you may have some luck if you install the pavucontrol package.

Then access it through the sound & video menu (if lubuntu has that).

There is a recording settings tab.
    Thanks for the suggestion. But pavucontrol won't work with Lubuntu. I select it in Sound & Video and I get a "connection refused" message. So I don't even get a chance to look at the recording tab.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would suggest installing gnome-alsamixer then menu/Sound & Video/Gnome ALSA Mixer Experiment with the settings there and report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cavalier911 View Post
    I would suggest installing gnome-alsamixer then menu/Sound & Video/Gnome ALSA Mixer Experiment with the settings there and report back.
    Well, you've certainly pointed me in the right drection. The gnome "sound recorder" app still won't eork; but now I have gnome-alsamixer installed, I can use arecord to record my voice.

I've got some annoying background hiss intruding, but a bit of playing with the alsamixer controls may solve this issue.

Thanks! And if anyone has further suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

sound-recorder works on Lubuntu.

These tips helped me:

Start sound-recorder in debug mode.
    Code:
    gnome-sound-recorder --gst-debug-level=2
    Open gstreamer-properties
    Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    When it wouldn't record I was getting error: Failed to find a supported audio source.Not exactly sure what fixed it but the error disappeared and it started recording.Level: meter doesn't work until recording starts.
    Last edited by cavalier911; January 8th, 2011 at 03:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks cavalier911. I shall check it out later when I'm at home with my EeePC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@cavalier911: I tried your suggestion, to no avail. Here's the output:

Code:
    gnome-sound-recorder --gst-debug-level=2
    0:00:00.430520452  2523  0x85ac008 WARN                     oss gstosssrc.c:379:gst_oss_src_open:<osssrc0> error: Could not open audio device for recording.
    0:00:00.430662506  2523  0x85ac008 WARN                     oss gstosssrc.c:379:gst_oss_src_open:<osssrc0> error: Unable to open device /dev/dsp for recording: No such file or directory
    0:00:00.430853657  2523  0x85ac008 WARN               switchsrc gstswitchsrc.c:172:gst_switch_src_commit_new_kid:<gconfaudiosource> error: Failed to set state on new child.
    0:00:00.431039570  2523  0x85ac008 WARN                   gconf gstgconfaudiosrc.c:157:do_toggle_element:<gconfaudiosource> Failed to update child element
    Code:
    t0p@deimos:~$ gstreamer-properties
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'alsasink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdsink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sunaudiosink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'glimagesink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sdlvideosink'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'alsasrc'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sunaudiosrc'
    gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesrc'
    Help, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A hopeful bump.

Quick recap: I am using Lubuntu (the LXDE variant of Ubuntu). I want to record audio through the microphone on my computer. I've installed gnome-sound-recorder but I can't get it to work. The command-line utility arecord records my voice, but with an irritating hiss in the background.

My current workaround is to use an Ubuntu live usb: gnome-sound-recorder works fine in a live session (hence I know it's not a hardware issue) but it is pretty annoying to have to run a live session whenever I want to record something.

I might just need to recalibrate arecord, but I don't know how to, or if it's even possible.

Can anyone help with either arecord or gnome-sound-recorder in Lubuntu?

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is one bumpy thread!

I'm still using an Ubuntu live usb when I want to record something. But obviously that is far from ideal. What if I want to make a recording whilst using other features that my installed Lubuntu possesses but which are absent in a live Ubuntu environment? Is it just tough luck?

Surely someone can advise on this matter? Anyone?

Bah!
    Last edited by t0p; February 3rd, 2011 at 02:58 PM.