Thread: File sharing problems

Beans

File sharing problems

Hi,

Having installed samba4 and smbfs I am trying to share my documents directory into my home network. But when try to do this I get the following error -

Samba's testparm returned error 1: Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/testparm", line 43, in <module>
    import samba
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/samba/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
    from samba._ldb import Ldb as _Ldb
    ImportError: /usr/lib/libgensec.so.0: undefined symbol: _dcerpc_binding_handle_data

I am using 10.10

Please help I do need to do this as I want to use ubuntu machine as my backup.

Thanks

Beans

Re: File sharing problems

Any reason you installed Samba4:
    These packages contain snapshot versions of Samba 4, the next-generation version of Samba. These should be considered _experimental_, and should not be used in production. In particular, no guarantees are made with regard to upgrades between versions.
    In fact the package name itself is something like "4.0.0~alpha9". Unless you're a samba tester I'd remove it and reinstall the default samba.

Beans

Thanks for that. When I tried the command sudo samba restart, I got the message samba is not installed - install samba by sudo apt-get install samba4 - thats the reason I did that. I will uninstall samba4 and hope this solves the problem.

Thanks again for your reply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are the machines you are trying to network with Ubuntu also?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

well, to restart samba you should use the 'service' command, and sambas service is called 'smbd'
    Code:
    sudo service smbd restart
    as for testparm, it is a diagnostic utility for samba configs. you can run it like this:
    Code:
    sudo testparm -s
    and it shoudl point out any configuration errors you may have made.
    try running testparm and let us know what it spits out.

as for Morbius' advice, I'd take it. ubuntu and samba4 are not quite ready to work together.

Beans

Hi, as I was getting the same error posted above... So I too removed 'samba4' (which I had installed earlier) & reinstalled 'samba'. Later I ran "sudo testparm -s", which gave me following message..
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/testparm", line 43, in <module>
    import samba
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/samba/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
    from samba._ldb import Ldb as _Ldb
    ImportError: /usr/lib/libgensec.so.0: undefined symbol: _dcerpc_binding_handle_data
    so please help me further in this...as I am quite new to linux...

-Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

sachin, please start your own thread with a suitable title. It becomes confusing trying to assist two OPs in the same thread.

You are more likely to get better and more specific help with your problem by doing this.