Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You've been deactivated

Beans

Re: You've been deactivated

Quote Originally Posted by MooPi View Post
    This makes me think that the stories about aliens sending rogue radio waves to turn our brains into gelatinous tasty pudding pops may be true.
    Heh. Indeed.

I deactivated my account and will become that self imposed internet hermit dwelling amongst the dial-up and unconnected computer users.
    Now you're starting to sound like Obiwan Kenobi. Which, apart from the guilt of having a former student be the bane of the universe and eventually sacrificing himself for his new friends to escape, is actually pretty cool. You going for the robed, bearded, lightsaber-wielding look?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I find it useful to keep in touch with relatives who are spread out all over the country.

I used to have 2400 gaming friends who were in a separate list with limited permissions. Since I've quit gaming, I deleted them all and have about 80 real friends and relatives left.

I never use Facebook connect and you can easily block apps singly or all apps under Privacy Settings so you don't have to deal with the spam.

If I wanted vertical space, I would have bought a square monitor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Shpongle View Post

At least twitter servers a purpose , I can keep up with my news , foss projects , linux stuff , music , free speech (wikileaks) etc without being surrounded by idiots.
    You seriously think Twitter is more purposeful than Facebook? I beg to differ, I feel as if Twitter is like Facebook stripped of everything except statuses... It can be just as stupid as FB...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axzxe1a78E

Personally I believe it's all what you make it, who you choose to be friends with, and how you take in that information. All social platforms have the tendency to be annoying, but that is nothing more than people for you... if no one has noticed, people can be annoying. If you choose to be friends with people who write statuses that you don't appreciate, then you invited that into your life, live with it or block it.

I use Facebook, and I am not ashamed whatsoever, nor do I see a reason to be. I am a college student, and I have a lot of friends and people to contact for various organization on campus. Email is the most reliable, however it's generally the slowest. Also, I have quite a few friends, and it's enjoyable to FB chat friends when I'm away or I'm trying to set up times to hang out. It's also nice to share pictures, news, online findings, interesting stories, and just have fun with friends.
    Sure, I guess it's giving into the 'closed' 'mainstream' normal uneducated people of the world, but who cares? ...Honestly folks, the thing that bothers me the most about the open source community in general is the extreme pretentiousness, all related to a silly operating system/kernel and the computer world. Sometimes I feel as if people make this a religion, filled with all of the obnoxious traits and lacking any real substance other than data on a computer.

$0.02

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Superkoop View Post
    You seriously think Twitter is more purposeful than Facebook? I beg to differ, I feel as if Twitter is like Facebook stripped of everything except statuses... It can be just as stupid as FB...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axzxe1a78E

Personally I believe it's all what you make it, who you choose to be friends with, and how you take in that information. All social platforms have the tendency to be annoying, but that is nothing more than people for you... if no one has noticed, people can be annoying. If you choose to be friends with people who write statuses that you don't appreciate, then you invited that into your life, live with it or block it.

I use Facebook, and I am not ashamed whatsoever, nor do I see a reason to be. I am a college student, and I have a lot of friends and people to contact for various organization on campus. Email is the most reliable, however it's generally the slowest. Also, I have quite a few friends, and it's enjoyable to FB chat friends when I'm away or I'm trying to set up times to hang out. It's also nice to share pictures, news, online findings, interesting stories, and just have fun with friends.
    Sure, I guess it's giving into the 'closed' 'mainstream' normal uneducated people of the world, but who cares? ...Honestly folks, the thing that bothers me the most about the open source community in general is the extreme pretentiousness, all related to a silly operating system/kernel and the computer world. Sometimes I feel as if people make this a religion, filled with all of the obnoxious traits and lacking any real substance other than data on a computer.

$0.02
    ubuntuman001 likes this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have a FB account, but all my friends are people I know in real life. I check it maybe twice a day. I ignore any and all requests pertaining to apps, games, and the like. I have friends that are addicted to those crappy games and that's about all they use FB for. If I want to chat with someone on FB I use empathy, even if I'm on the FB page. I've thought about getting rid of my account, but seeing that FB will only deactivate the account instead of deleting it, I'd rather keep an eye on it and manage it myself. About once a week I go through my profile and delete all entries and any photos besides my profile photo. Some people put their entire lives on there and it's getting crazy. For those that update every thing they do, it can bite back. Thieves are known to look up people and rob their houses when they clearly state they are not there.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zer010 View Post
    I've thought about getting rid of my account, but seeing that FB will only deactivate the account instead of deleting it, I'd rather keep an eye on it and manage it myself.
    Actually, there is a way to delete your account permanently:
    http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=15663
    http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=13016

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I deactivated my account and deleted it 14 months ago, FB to me was only a huge nag machine. I see in this thread, some guys think their anti social. You are here aren't you? This is a social network. So if this is being anti social, then so be it, I'm in.
    14 months clean and counting...
    AMD Phenom II x6 2.8/3.3, 8 GB ram, GTX 550Ti 1024MB gfx, Xubuntu 13.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by areteichi View Post
    Actually, there is a way to delete your account permanently:
    http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=15663
    http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=13016
    Cool, thanks!
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by msandoy View Post
    I deactivated my account and deleted it 14 months ago, FB to me was only a huge nag machine. I see in this thread, some guys think their anti social. You are here aren't you? This is a social network. So if this is being anti social, then so be it, I'm in.
    14 months clean and counting...
    ubuntu forums is the most useful social networking site ever

everyone else remember that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    ubuntu forums is the most useful social networking site ever

everyone else remember that!
    I am just starting out but I agree!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast